Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - The vegan dog, anyone?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Sasami
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I hope this doesn't sound rude but I don't think he has a "meat allergy". That would be very, very, very rare for a carnivore! What protein sources have you tried and how do you know it's the food? Could it be environmental?

Honestly, no vegetarian diet is really great for a dog but a vegan diet would be flat-out dangerous. So don't go vegan, go vegetarian if anything. Again, though, even dogs with tons of food allergies can usually eat certain meats.

Maybe a fish diet would work? Fish shouldn't really "count", you know?

Your best bet would be to look into homecooked diets, there's a good forum for that on Dogster. I wouldn't try any kibbles, those have so many allergens that it would be tough to see if they helped or not.

Again, though, I want to emphasize that a dog is extremely unlikely to be "allergic" to all meat, it's more likely specific types or categories (poultry, for example). Or an allergy that has nothing to do with food, which was my first thought when you mentioned raw clearing it up for a little while...if he was allergic to all meat, he wouldn't have cleared up like that. Michelle on here has a dog with a poultry allergy, it doesn't just randomly go away and results in nearly deadly reactions. That doesn't sound like what's going on with your pup.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome