Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - The vegan dog, anyone?
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Dragonrain
Super Moderator

I agree with Stephanie. I wouldn't feed a vegetarian or vegan diet to a dog. I would think it would be highly unlikely that your dog is allergic to all types of meat.

My dog, Kitsune, has both environmental allergies and food allergies. He can't eat poultry, like Stephanie mentioned. Even a tiny bit of chicken is enough to make him very sick. He gets hives all over his body, he swells up, throws up, it's pretty drastic. He almost died once after eating a piece of raw chicken, due to his throat swelling and almost completely closing off. Luckily one of our vets is literally a 2 minute walk from our house so I was able to get him treated very quickly when his symptoms started.

Remember that kibble, even vegan kibbles, contain a lot more ingredients that could all serve as potential allergy triggers. My dogs allergies where one of the main reasons why I switched him to raw. It's much easier for me to know exactly what he's eating.

If you think your dog has food allergies, I always tell people that I think the most important thing is to try to find out what they are actually allergic too. Knowing my dog cannot eat poultry makes it easier for me to check everything I feed him, treats included, to make sure I'm not giving him something that he could react too.

Have you looked into trying an elimination diet? You should be able to find a lot of info on how to do it online.

Try to figure out exactly what Spyro is allergic too. If you don't, how will you know what foods to avoid? If he is allergic to one or a few types of meat, your life will be much easier if you can figure that out. It's not always easy, but it's worth it. Just switching him to a vegan diet and not worrying about finding what exactly is bothering him I wouldn't think would be the healthiest course of action. How would you know what types of treats he can and can't have, etc. Just never giving him any meat again IMO isn't really fair to him and probably isn't what's healthiest either.

Look into where you get your meat too. Could be maybe be reacting to something that's being added to all the meat at the particular store you use? Maybe try getting meat from other stores or online or something and see if that changes things any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome