Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Degu Help !!!

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Luna1987 
#1 ·
I have 2 adult degus and one of them is fine the other one has had problems eating for the last 2 days and we've noticed her theeth are white and not acting like herself.. if anyone has any tips or knows what i should do your help would be much appreciated

#3 ·
We are going to see vet first thing tomorrow havent be able to go since they were not open saturday or sunday. were feeding her 30g of this stuff called degu nature says its everything a degu needs and we are trying to get her to eat some greens but she doesnt seem to like them all that much.

#7 ·
We took her in yesterday and they said there was a bit of swelliing in her mouth. So he gave ussome powdered food and we brought her back today for aan xray and were waiting to hear from the vet now. But we did notice her teeth didn't seem as white as they were they were pretty yellow this morning when we checked her b4 we tookk her back 2 the vet

#12 ·
I have no idea how old she is we bought her from a pet store and they don't know a thing about degus (soomething we will never do again) we bought 2 female degus and about a week later 1 of them gave birth to 5 babies... So now we have an arrmy of degus .. But the sick ones name is coco and my other female is named lucy

#14 ·
Most guys from pet stores don t have a clue about degus. I thought I have two girls but when they started "humping" :D I saw something is wrong. So I had the poor boy neutered but he is doing great now. :yes:

Also, they told me the hamster cage is enough for them which was an absolute and terrible lie...

Luckily, there are lots of forums like this one and some others like Degus international where you can get precious informations about your adorable pets...

#15 ·
It takes time for them to recover. The spurs on their teeth often cause cuts on the inside of their mouths, so that pain is still there and need to heal. The first time my degu, Azure, had it done, I was so worried about her slow recovery that I decided to administer some left-over Baytril I had for about five days or so. She, then, fully recovered and was eating better than ever and looking very healthy - her teeth even became orange again.

The second time, she again had trouble recovering but it seemed much worse. I chalked it up to it having been done by a different vet - one with much less experience. I fed her whatever she was willing to eat - mostly rolled oats and the think flaky-bits in the Versele-Laga Degu Nature food my degus eat. She did recover in about two weeks or so but unfortunately her tooth issues returned with a vengeance about a month or so later. (I won't go into details about her story unless you want to hear about it – it is depressing). Please keep an eye on Coco. If you don't see any improvement in a few days, or if she becomes increasingly lethargic, call your vet and see if they can provide you with an antibiotic.

Just a side note: I too have alot of degus because the animal shelter where I adopted them from thought they were four girls when they were actually three girls and a boy. All three females got pregnant – Azure miscarried but the other two gave birth. I've kept them all hence "16degus" (though I only have 15 now because Azure passed away in June.)

#16 ·
Hey :)
I have 2 degus, one of them had tooth trouble a year ago.
She had her upper incisors clipped smaller, and they removed an infected molar.
It took a month for her to start eating properly.

What I did to help the process, was feeding her critical care (and also oat porridge) via syringe, and offering rolled oats, ryvita, and softened pellets, to give her some energy.

And because hay is the most important part in degus diet, I fed her some dried dandelion leaves, mint, basil and parsley to make her interested in hay again, and it worked, but took couple of weeks. :)

Now, after a year of all that, my goo is better than ever, eating and chewing normally, and we didn´t have to go to vet again :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.