Paw Talk - Pet Forums - View Single Post - Memory Lane! Feel Free to Contribute!
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Vladina
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Memory Lane Part One: Our First Two Babies

Okay, Story started a great "Walk Down Memory Lane" thread so here is mine.

I am doing this in three parts, as I cannot do an entire thread with photos all in one session (time constraints and hand pain problems). So, I will start with part one, which is where our love affair with small critters started....

The first two bubs Marc and I ever had after we married was a pair of beautiful gerbil brothers, both agouti, named Mick and Keith, after the famous dudes from the Rolling Stones, of course.

(I know this is a rat and mouse forum but I figured I would be forgiven for including our first two babies which were not actually ratties!)

They were our sweet loves and best gerby-gerbs anyone could ask for. We adopted them when they were babies, from a Petco in the days of old, before we knew any better. They were, of course, spoiled rotten and we loved them soooo much.

Mick and Keith (Mick in the foreground with the sleepy bedroom eyes, and his brother Keith behind him, with the beautiful almond Bambi eyes)

We had so many wonderful times with our boys, including birthday parties, snuggle times, kisses and scritches, play time on the bed, sleeve rides, dust baths, Christmas fun and so many other moments. Down the line, Mick unfortunately developed a tumor in his tummy and since he was already getting up there in age, our small animal vet (the same Dr. Kamaka who later became our wonderful ratty vet) said the trauma of surgery would be dangerous and too stressful for him so we jointly decided not to put him through that, especially since he was comfy and not in pain. We let him live out his last few months happy at playing at home with Mom and Dad and Keith.

Here is Mick with his pear shaped looking tummy after the tumor showed up. Still a happy perky boy though.

Both of our boys made it to their two year birthday, complete with birthday card and wrapped presents, but unfortunately, Mick passed away one night a few months before his third birthday.

His brother Keith made it to three years old, and finally one night he got very wobbly and lay down on his side breathing hard, and Marc was there to comfort him with soft strokes and cuddles with his hand, and tell him it was okay to go see his brother. I was nearby, unable to watch and bawling my eyes out as I knew he was getting ready to leave us. Keith only breathed hard on his side for less than a minute while Marc comforted him, and then he was gone. Marc and I both cried for weeks.

We will see you at the bridge my sweet ones. Play hard. We love you.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 06-16-2013 at 11:01 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome