14 year old cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

14 year old cat

my cat is 14 years old, she throws up quite often, yet she acts like a kitten. she is losing hearing. how long do you think she will live? we think she has a tumor on her neck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Its hard to tell about cats. What kind of food do you feed her? Canned food can make older cats throw up. If she has a tumor on her neck then you need to get her to the vet! It could easily be cancerous and the longer you wait the older she will be and the harder the surgery will be. It might not be taht bad and a vet can possibly drain it. I had a cat (Cleo) who lived to be 21 years old. I have a 15 year old cat right now as well and he still acts like a kitten and I am pretty sure he has many years left in him. (Avatar cat)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

we give her adult cat dry food. she doesnt throw up as much since we switched her to smaller pieced food. it just feels like a little mole on her neck. my mom doesnt think its a tumor but my mom's boyfriend knows a lot about animals and he says it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Hello Earthling

You can't really say how long you cat will live without information from the vet about her health now and in the past.

Get her checked by the vet for the lump and the vomiting.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 AM

I have a 16 year old cat. He looks good and not old at all so sometimes I forget that eh is older. Now, my dogs, they looked aged when they got older.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hope you already took her to the vet, any updates? Grandma's cat was able to live for 20 years too and she ate raw food diets.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its impossible to say. All we can say is the average, and the above average for life expectancy of indoor cats.

We aren't vets, we cant tell you how her health is. As with humans there is no way to say how long they will live based on their age. They could get a virus, or get hit by a car, or have a stroke or have a heart attack just as we can.

So many things go into the age that a cat will live. Genetics, life style, diet, exercise, stress level, weight, and then there are the unexpecteds that no one can tell you.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Part of the Pack

Some i talk too her cat lived to be 21 years old and just recently passed away. So you can never really guess how long they will live for.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:59 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Cats are technically supposed to live up to 30 years. But, due to the generally poor food we feed them(food with byproducts and corn and other bad stuff), and an assortment of various other reasons, they're only living to be around 15 years or so.

So it's tough to say. But if she's still acting like a kitten - awesome! That's good news.

Tags
14 years old, cat, tumor