15 year old cat with incontinence, CKD, Pancreatitis, tumor - is it time?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Is it time? 15 year old cat with incontinence, CKD, Pancreatitis, tumor

My beloved 15.5 year old cat is nearing the end and I need help in when to make the dreaded decision.

4 months ago, she was diagnosed with high blood pressure, secondary to chronic kidney disease and enlarged lymphs. Additional diagnosis of either IBD or lymphoma – not confirmed as I won’t put her through surgery at her age. She began going to the bathroom all around the apartment 5 months ago after a move, although it's gotten worse.

1 month ago, she had another ultrasound and was subsequently diagnosed with pancreatitis and has a mass, the vet believes is likely malignant.

Her 'bathroom' habits have become urinary incontinence where she ends up with urine all over her hind legs. Her bowel movements have been soft for weeks now, never in the box, and proving discomfort to her by her scurrying around before and after, trying to clean herself (of which I help her) only to growl and make odd noises clearly indicating her behind is sore and irritated.

She's been hiding daily, although not ALL day. On the other hand, she still purrs, eats and drinks a ton, and seems ok. She's currently on anti-hypertensive, steroids, and what seems to be continuous bouts of antibiotics.

HELP! I don't know if it's time yet or not. I don't want her to suffer but I'm afraid of doing it too early and not considering a potential resolution (or maintenance, rather) that could help her.

Please advise. The nearly complete incontinence is the newest and saddest part, hence me writing this post. It just seems to keep getting worse.

Last edited by valeroonie; 02-12-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:17 AM
Playful Pup

Hey Valeroonie I totally understand what you and your cat are going through, I really hope things will work out. However, i would suggest not to give up this early,your cat needs the fighting spirit and you should be willing to help her fight. Its never over till its over.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

As Pupp Fiction has said, do not give up just yet. I know you are confused but if she is eating and drinking Ok, keep her around for a little longer till you get to the point you fel that it's too much for both of you. Please keep us informed of your decision and take heart.

Tags
incontinence, kidney disease, pancreatitis, tumor