2-3 month Kitten has black in his nose - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

2-3 month Kitten has black in his nose

A little history: We saved four kittens we found in a car, i kept two of them. Now, we believe they are around 3 months. I took them all to the vet and they have had their first round of shots and second round of deworming. At the start the vet thought they were older then they were and gave them some antibiotics for diarrhea and they became VERY sick, i had to have fluid injected into my girl she got so sick.

I took them off of the antibiotic and they became fine. I assume they were just adjusting to the fancy feast (being they never had food be4) and or when i had the first round of deworming it was too soon for them. But since i brought the male home he always had black stuff in his nose. I thought at first it was transmission fluid because the rusted out car we found him in he ran into the transmission hiding from us.

But every time i clean out his nose it comes back, he was sneezing but has stopped sneezing as much. Its like a hard black crust that forms on the inside of his nose, like he has black boogers or something.

The lady that took the two other cats had them tested for kitty AIDS and the other thing they need to be tested for and they are fine. I have had my two kittens (poop tested, and tested for a few other things) they will get their kitty AIDS test when i'm done with their shots i've spent alot of money already.

Question: The vet told me my kittens problem could be an UPI but said he is so young that his body can grow to fight it off. Is this true? Because I read those infections can kill kittens. PLEASE help. Is this safe to wait 2 or 3 months to see if it stops? He is fine otherwise and is a typical kitten, I just donít want him getting sick. Please help and let me know. Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dameond.jpg (23.6 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Newborn Pup

Most cats get this its bogies and why ya cat has stopped sneezing is because your helping ya cat to breathe. They sneeze to get snot out of their noses so they can breathe better.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Newborn Pup

Why is the snot black god knows every cat has it thou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

If you doubt what you're vet is saying, find a different vet. You can tell the age of a cat by the teeth in its mouth, so if your vet gave them medication meant for older cats, it sounds like you need to find a new vet.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I took them to a vet that would see all four of them when we first found them. It was a cheaper vet, I didnt really have the money at the time to go anywhere else. BUT I did hear good things about the place from a few people who go there. i know the one nurse weighed them wrong and was rude i figured she just put down a weight and he guessed their age on that.

I started their shots there and i would like to finish them there? unless it doesnt matter i just thought it was good to finish their shots in one place.

Well if thats just his snot i don't mind. It does get alot and its hard to get off, if i get him while hes tired i can get it offf with a qtip. Samantha (his sister) doesn't have it at all. I will probably give it another week or two and have him seen somewhere else. I just wanted to know if it sounded like something i should worry about.

Also - how do you tell their age by there teeth? I'd love to know for sure how old they are.

Thanks for your help!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

http://www.ehow.com/how_4469250_tell-cat_s-age.html

That should give you a good idea, ^^
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you! Your cat looks JUST like my female cat! Very cute!!

Tags
kitten nose problem