3 vet reactions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

3 vet reactions

It's funny how my 3 girls act after a visit to the vet. Today,I brought all 3 for general grooming & checkup. There is one thing for sure, the vet is not liked. Anyway, I just wanted to share with you how the 3 behave once we get home.
JOJI: very glad to be home. She purrs and basks in the sun and you can tell she is very, very happy.
SKINNY: she acts like she never left. I am not sure if she even remembers the carrier and the car ride. She will want a little snack though.
QT: she is mad at me and won't even come near me. She will turn away when I look at her. It will take about two hours before she forgives me.
My kitties, I just love them!
Anyway, do your cats behave the same? Love to hear about feline personalities!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Well Gabby doesnt like to go to the vet, Im sure, but she doesnt hiss at the vet or anything either, she just likes to look around the room instead of being on the exam table, she hates car rides though, and will meow like someone is killing her...all the way home! When she gets home she is ok. So I guess she doesnt have a bad time, but she hates the car ride. One time Gabby hated us was when we moved, we moved everything, and moved her last, so that she wouldnt be able to run out the door while people were going in and out with loads, so when Josh went to get her last, he said she was so scared in the empty apartment, running around the rooms, looking for something to hide under/behind, when he got to the house, we put her in the basement (where her litter box would be from now on) so she could get used to that space, she hid for about 2 days, then gradually came out to explore the new house. We felt so bad for her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Miss New Booty

Wow Yayi, interesting topic here!
Well, let's see... All my cats love the car, they are totally weird! They don't really mind the vet too much. Ginger, is actually very good there, which surprises me, sometimes she is shy around new people. Snuggles, who is a friendly one, seems to hate the vet! He hisses and spits and gets real upset! I think he even sprayed the tech when he was drawing his blood once! Smokie is pretty good, but cutting is nails is terrible! It took 2 techs and Brad to hold him down to trim his nails last time! It's so hard for us to do it, I don't know why it bothers him so much.
They don't seem mad at me at all when we get home.
Good topic!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:01 PM

Definitely an interesting topic. My trio has different purrsonalities for sure, at home and at the vet's. My vet gives out a "report card" after each visit.

Lozie is as sweet as can be at the vet's. She doesn't complain at all. She always gets an A+ grade from our vet. She talks and talks and talks during the car ride though.

Wellington is still afraid and tries to cling to me during the exam. But he gets an A anyways.

Now L'il, oh my, he's got jekyll & hyde personality. He is so embarrassing to take to the vet's. He hisses & snarls and everything! They have to use this net contraption to hold him still. And if I leave him for the day, he gets an extra 11.95 special handling charge!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Miss New Booty

OH wow, Pigsterz! An extra charge for Lil'!?!?!? lol!
Oh, I love when they "talk" on the car ride it's so cute! meowww!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 06:13 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i don't think anyone beats my cat, layla. she lives back home with my parents now because she didn't want to ever move from there ( i got her when i lived there ) and they will NOT bring her to the vet for nails and things like that. only emergencies or shots. but if they can wait till i come home from college, they will. first of all, she cries, moans, pukes and has diahrrea (sp?) all the way there ( 15 or 45 min drive ). then once we get there, she won' t let the vet do ANYTHING but maybe look at her. she is mean to us, can you imagine the vet? just to get her nails clipped ( or to be handled ) she has to be put to sleep. not drowsy - asleep!
but ck this out: one time she had to go to the vet for x-rays cause she spit up some tinsle (xmas time) and we were worried she may have eaten some. we took her to the vet that's 45 min's away ( to a bigger city ). we knew to get x-rays she'd have to be put to sleep. so we left her there to pick her up a few hrs later. when my mom went to get her, they actually had the nerve to tell her: "well, she was attacking us when we were putting her to sleep, etc. next time, she may have to be put down." then they told my mom that since she attacks, that they DON'T need our consent and that they can just kill her (my word, not theirs). i will never take her there again! and on top of that, they people were rude from the beginning. uuuuuuuuugh!
ok, thanks. i'm done. sorry this was so long. i just wanted to get that off my chest.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 02:49 PM

Our cat Batman is terrible. Once we get him home he gets all mad and hides from us. Dad laughs about it but me and mom are like Batman get ur butt out here,lol.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Miss New Booty

What on earth Jane?!?!?!? They could put her down without your consent?!?!?!?!? I have never heard of such a thing, that is terrible and inhumane!!! That sounds like a very messed up place.

I forgot, once when we had to take Smokie for blood work and take his temp., the girl said "Oh, I'll just take him back and do it." And she went to the back. I could hear Smokie mewing and getting mad, and a few min later, she came back frustrated, him covered with a blanket saying he wouldn't calm down and she couldn't get his temp. Brad and I thought, well you just took him back there to a strange place where he has never even been before! So I said " Let us hold him, you try it again." And he was fine! He just was unfamiliar and scared as it was without us!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 06:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jane - are you sure they mean what you are thinking? Could it be by saying that - they mean they will anesthetize for x-rays or simple procedures without your consent?

Even that would be unacceptable to me - but I can't believe a vet would say they would euthanize a cat just like that

------------

I take my cats to the vet one at a time, on different days. It's just easier than dealing with all 3 carriers, etc.
When they come home the one who smells like "the vet!" may get a hiss or 2 from one of the others. Then the smelly offender usually gets pinned down for a good body rubbing and tongue bath. Gotta make sure they all smell the same
--------

Pigsterz! that 11.95 special handling charge is something else! Every time I have seen you mention it , I think - Wow! Can they really do that!??

[center]

[
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy

unfortunately, this is totally true.
i'm from the rio grande valley, tx. they are like, 10 yrs behind and its basically like living in mexico/america. the girl was like, 25 at best. it totally didn't surprise me though that this happened in the valley. this kind of thing happens in all walks of life. things that would make people even 5 hrs north crazy.
here's another sad/pathetic thing (not to do with animals):
i live in south padre island. whenever anyone gets in trouble with the law down there and has to go to court, its a big laugh fest. the local judge is practically related to everyone that lives in there and in the neighboring town so everyone just gets off scott free. and all the police know all the high school kids so no one ever gets in trouble for anything.
i hate living there. south padre island is different though, from the rest of the valley cause it's a tourist area. but once you cross that bridge onto the mainland, i can't stand it.
its just backwards.
so anyways, a 25 yr old girl from the valley saying that doesn't surprise me. they don't know any better.
please don't take this post to mean that i think that all people from mexico or the valley are stupid or backwards!! i'm just speaking from my experiences.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

btw- the island is still an awesome place to visit!! we have an awesome beach!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 07:31 PM

OMG I can't believe they could/would do that! How horrible!!

Deja, I forgot all about that 'vet smell'. My guys do the same. They smell whoever came from the vet's and they sniff the carrier. L'il has to hiss at the carrier as he goes around checking it out. And if he's the one who went to the vet's, he hisses at the walls at home.
And that extra special handling charge surprised the heck out of me too. I usually take them on Saturday's or after work, but one time I had to drop him off in the morning & leave him for the day and that's when we discovered we had a 'special' cat.

I'm all contorted typing this at this internet kiosk at Dallas Ft Worth airport. I have a layover and am totally bored. So now I'm racking up charges.

Tags
litter box