Abandoned Newborn Kitten - Am I doing everything right? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

Abandoned Newborn Kitten - Am I doing everything right?

This past Saturday (3/22) I found a kitten in our boat - he was anywhere from 1-3 days old (still had his umbilical cord - he lost that on Monday - so that would be 2 days later - I'm not sure of his age exactly; but the eyes are still closed and I've had him/her for 7 days plus however many days before finding - So I'm guessing 9 days old now?
Needless to say, when I saw this cute little baby I was very worried b/c I know they need their mama during this time; but she was nowhere to be found and my dogs were the ones to alert me that something was in the boat and they (dogs) found a way to get in the boat (so I pray that the mama got the other babies to a safe place and not that my dogs got her and/or the babies) Anyway, there was just one little kitten, mewing and I got him/her (still can't tell the sex). So, I have been bottle-feeding and doing the pee/poop thing for him/her (I hate saying 'it'); Seems to be doing ok and getting attached to me and vice versa, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything - Is the poop supposed to be cream color? (I would assume yes b/c the formula is that color) but I want to be sure; Also, it seems like it hurts him/her when pooping - cries a lot so I don't know if that is normal. (the poop seems to be hard - I just am not sure what is normal for a newborn kitten; Usually if I find newborns, I take them in and care for them for a day or two (and I know a woman who takes in orphaned cats/kittens, so she usually takes it from there - but this time she had her hands full and I am the one - so I just want to be sure that everything is ok - because I know this time is critical for a baby.
I'm keeping him/her warm (in a small pet carrier/cloth with extra bedding and a blanket on top next to a lamp) I feed him/her every 3-4 hours, there have been a few nights that I didn't get up b/c the alarm clock didn't go off - but he/she sleeps during the night - I've been told different things, wait til they wake up and also feed every 3-4 hours, so I try to do the hourly thing if I can help it - which is most of the time; I rub a warm cloth for him/her to poop and pee; I have just used water to bathe him every once in a while; but I think tonight I will give him a real bath. After reading some internet stories about how important that is (I was afraid that he would get cold so I didn't want to give him a real bath yet); I take him everywhere with me; I even sneak him into my office, so in case you are wondering, yes I am going to keep him; I'll worry about how my older cats will like him later. For now, I'm just trying to keep him healthy. So any advice will be appreciated!
I've got many animals and I feel bad b/c they are not getting as much attention but for the next couple of weeks my time is devoted to keeping the baby healthy - so if by reading this someone sees that I'm doing something wrong or not enough please tell me - and please let me know if the poop thing is normal; I don't know if I should see a vet or not - (at this point); I can't afford it right now, but if it is a must I will go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Sounds like you are doing everything really well! I went through the exact same thing about a year ago.

A good way to keep the baby warm is to put an entire bag of regular white rice (raw) in a pillow case, tie a knot in the pillow case to keep the rice in, and then you can heat it all up in the microwave every time you feed the baby. Then put the bag of rice under a couple layers of towels so that it isn't too hot for the baby.

Also, keep the baby in an enclosed container, like a puppy/cat crate. Or a large plastic storage container with air holes made at the top. We lost one of our babies because she escaped from the storage container (we just didn't know any better) and one of the animals got to her. So I just try to spread the info.

The poo sounds normal to me. Kiddo (the one we raised) used to carry on and on when she'd poo. So to me, I would say your baby is ok. And yah, the poo will be kinda runny and light colored cause all the baby is eating is milk. Kind of like human babies.

As far as bathing them, Kiddo used to get dirty from her poo, etc. So we'd just rinse her off with warm water and a tiny amount of kitten shampoo.

I totally understand you keeping the baby! We HAD to keep Kiddo (would've kept however many survived). She is my Nan's LOVE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Will It Ever Change?

sounds like you're being a great mom-cat! keep up the good work and my best wishes to the little one

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Lovin My Furry Family <3

Aw, I wish you the best of luck! Do you think that if your other cats saw the baby, they'd adopt him/her and take care of him/her as if they were the mommy?

You know your cats better than anyone else, but maybe they could play part-time mommy and give you a little break.

Just an idea. Good luck with everything! And maybe post some pix?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jaclyn

I'm a mommy to:

Piper

Max
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Kat
Playful Pup

Thanks to all you for your advice and support! I've been very concerned just b/c I never know what 'normal' is when they are that young. The one thing I am concerned about still is the poo is not runny, it seems hard - I mix the formula like the box says, but maybe it's still to concentrated for him at this point? I'm glad the color is ok - and the crying is normal; just making sure that the stool should be 'hard' or again, maybe it's normal too? I know I'm full of questions! I will be sure to post a picture as soon as we get one; the camera is being charged - I didn't want to get one yet b/c I was afraid that I would have only that if I took a picture when he was so young and week; now that you all say it's normal I feel better and will get a picture and video to boot! (I'm on dial up so no video on here until I can get something in a faster speed (out where I live they dont' offer much - country bumpkins ;o)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:37 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

I would say that if the stool is a bit hard, try adding more water to the formula. All kitties are different and this one may need more watered-down formula.

If you have questions, a vet will usually answer some questions on the phone. Just a thought because I know you don't want to pay for a full visit right now.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 02:17 PM

Aww I can't wait to see pictures of your baby! Sounds like this little one is lucky to have you!