Abby Update & Some Pictures - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Post Abby Update & Some Pictures

Well, the worst is over. Just to recap... Abby turned up 10 days ago with a horrid gaping wound and the origin is a complete mystery. It's doubtfull it was a bite wound- majority seem to feel she got herself caught on something. There were no teeth marks or scratches, blood or signs of a fight anywhere on her - just this big open wound.
She's an indoor/outdoor lawn tiger.
After a frantic trip to the emergency vet, treatment consisted of anesthesia, wound care, sutures, antibiotics and an outrageous bill.
The clinic put her on Baytril suspension which was a nightmare to administer. She would drool and foam for about 5 minutes and it was horrid to watch.
Follow-up care at my regular vet went well. He changed her to Baytril pills (it's easy to pill her) and she hasn't thrown up once since the switch.
He told me that I took her to the worst emergency vet clinic in the area - and he wishes he could shut them down! He also said that what they charged me for this fiasco is just shocking and wrong. He was livid! If I ever need emergency care again, I'll know better.
After removing the sutures tonight and really seeing how they stitched her - I think a trained monkey could have done a better job! I'm lucky that it healed so well in so little time.
Since he knows I have nursing experience he told me to just go ahead and remove the sutures myself. I did that tonight. (I've removed sutures lots of times, even on myself and my kids) The wound looks great. It's clean, dry and there is no sign of infection at all. She's doing so much better.

She doesn't like it at all - but she is now and forever an inside cat! We have to watch for her-royal-sneakiness when we open the door- she tries to slink out!

I thought I would post some pictures of her wounded and miserable in her e-collar. I know... I know.... *why*??? It's gross...

You can all beat me with wet noodles for posting pictures that are so gross.....

OK here we go... wound with drains in place...

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Getting some rest on my bed....

[center]

[
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Very mad about that silly e-collar!...

[center]

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Feeling better finally!...
She's saying, "Hey, if you would do the dishes it would be full of glasses instead of me!"

[center]

[
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

What a little fighter! Thanks for sharin'!

Stephanie

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:23 PM

I am glad she is doing better, it must have been insanely scary!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Glad to hear she is doing better... she is quite the trooper

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 08:56 PM

aaaaaaack! aaaaack!
Oh that iggs me out!!! This is why I could never be in the medical profession.
Well, glad that Abby is doing very well. And it'll be good for her to be indoors only. She'll probably complain at first, but don't worry, she'll get used to it. We had a cat that was originally an outdoors cat all his life and when my parents moved to a house on a very busy street they made him an indoor only cat. He cried and cried at first, but after a while he got used to it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks everyone!
Pigsterz I knew those pictures would gross at least a few people out!! I am so glad to hear that an outside cat *can*be converted to an inside cat! We've tried several times over the years - she is 9 years old!! She's been sitting at the kitchen door either waiting to sneak out - and being very insulted when anyone comes in or goes out - and makes her stay in!

She's also complaining about it in her little "brrrp!" "brrrrp!" way of talking!

I'm thinking that if we can keep her in totally it will get easier over the winter when it's freezing out and she spends more time inside anyway...

After what I just spent fixing her - she *will* learn to be an inside cat!! - my other 2 cats have never gone outside - and they are perfectly happy being house-pod cats. Abby can be a happy house-pod cat too!

[center]

[
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:17 AM

Im happy shes doing better!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 12:40 AM

I am soo glad she is doing better!!! She is sooo cute!!!

Tags
emergency vet, regular vet, vet clinic