Acne? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Acne?

I have a question... again.

My vet told me Bigfried had acne and pointed to something I couldn't see (he has some tabby markings near his mouth). He was so panicked I let him flee under my bed but I wish I saw what feline acne looked like.

Anyway, I've noticed last week that he has scabs on his lower jaw. The inflamed spot appears to have grown bigger and today it looked as if it had bleeded recently. It's not one big scab, just a blotchy area about the size of the tip of my index finger.
Could this be acne? If so, is there anything I should do about it or should I just leave it alone? I can picture myself going 'Sig, you *must* try my new clay mask!'. Heehee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 AM

I ahve never heard of feline acne, but if it is bleeding or open and swollen, maybe try some neosporin?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:26 AM

My kitty had this. You can try a little hydrogen peroxide. You want to dry out the areas. Be careful not to break open the pustules or it could spread. Just have someone hold the kitty and pat a peroxide soaked cotton ball or q-tip onto affected areas. It may sting a bit for the kitty so be prepared and work fast. The vet also carries pledgets specifically for this that you can try. If it is getting bad quickly and is bleeding, you may need a vet visit for oral antibiotics.

Side note: some cats get this from eating out of plastic dishes. Switch to crock or glass dishes to see if this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 10:36 AM

Sometimes feline acne can look like flea dirt all over the lower jaw. I had never heard of feline acne until I mentioned to a vet at the shelter that many of the cats have fleas especially around their mouth, further explained to me as acne. I have never seen a really bad case of it but I think I was told that it is reoccuring, not positive about that. And would you believe we just heard about the allergic reaction some cats have to licking plastic. We brought one into the vets because his lip was huge and we thought it was a tumor the vet aspirated it and took a biopsy but was pretty sure it was an allergic reaction. He was quite the funny looking cat!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 11:35 AM

It starts out looking like flea dirt but when it is full blown you can actually see pustules. My cat had to be treated three times in a row before it finally went away for good.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 07:13 PM

So that means its not a reoccuring thing for the rest of their lives? What did they treat your cat with, an antibiotic or was it a different type of drug?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Newborn Pup

Acne is pretty common in young cats. In the States and Canada there is an human acne product called Stridex which simply are acne pads. They make it easy to treat your cat's acne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:29 PM

I suppose it could come back again some day but so far so good It's been several months. I decided to go the route of using the pledgets and peroxide to keep him clean and dry in that area. It would clear up and then come back but eventually went away for good. If it gotten too bad and infected looking, I would of used oral antibiotics but I'm hesitant to use any unless absolutely necessary.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll try peroxide at first. This means I'll have to wrestle with Beefy Breath to rub it on though. He hates it when I hold his head too long (checking gums, putting eye ointment, eardrops... argh). CTChin, how often did you treat your cat's acne? I hope we won't have to go through this rodeo twice a day - that means a lot of wet food bribes
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanita
Thanks! I'll try peroxide at first. This means I'll have to wrestle with Beefy Breath to rub it on though. He hates it when I hold his head too long (checking gums, putting eye ointment, eardrops... argh). CTChin, how often did you treat your cat's acne? I hope we won't have to go through this rodeo twice a day - that means a lot of wet food bribes
LOL Sorry, morning and night. If you see no improvement within a few days or it gets worse, see your vet. Good luck
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 05:58 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Hmmm ... I took Galina to a vet (not our normal vet, either, but a different one since our normal vet had NO open appointment slots for the following week) because she had a bump on her head that was getting bigger.

The vet poked it and squeezed at it and then said it was a pimple that couldn't (wouldn't?) pop. Eh? She said it should go back down in time.

Well! Fastforward over a month later and the first one HAS NOT gone down at all and there is another one developing behind the first.

Sami should be making an appoint with our vet soon and I'll get her opinion on this. I just don't see how Galina could have a pimple when her bump sounds nothing like the acne everyone here has described ...

Strange, indeed.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2004, 10:35 PM

What to Watch For

Irritations and rashes under the chin.

What Causes it

There are a couple causes of cat acne. It can be allergic reaction to the plastic food bowls. The cats food bowl should be washed after each feeding. Stress can also be a cause of cat acne. Cats can also have allergies to certain chemicals such as carpet freshener.

What to Do About it

Wash the cats food bowl. Using a steel, glass, or porcelain bowl may help in reducing the cat acne. Apply a little peroxide to the irritation under the cats chin. If you suspect that stress is the cause of the cat acne, then check for what could be stressing your cat out and try and ease the stress.

Tags
food bowl, food bowls, vet visit, wet food