adjusting from outdoors to indoors. . . - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

adjusting from outdoors to indoors. . .

Oliver was an outdoor cat. He's soft and free of fleas but it seems he's been relying on garbage and the kindness of neighbors for a while. Last night alone he ate 2 of those wet food packages and again this morning. He's hungry and a little on the skinny side.. Since he noticed the windows in here he's been crying and poking at them.
*currently he's staring at my kitchen window.. Can't tell if he's watchng Lakitu or wanting to go out..

Since Acacia has a lot of cat toys that she forgets she has I shared some to Ollie.. He's very playful but then he remembers he wants to go outside again.

This morning he was laying with me while I read my book and I was petting him and he nibbled my fingers like some cats do which was fine.. But then he began to knaw on my hand until I told him "off".

I want to keep him occupied and I admit I don't have everything I need for him at the moment since we thought we'd be waiting 2 weeks for the other one to be neutered.

How do I help Oliver?? I don't want him to get frustrated about being indoors!! The only time I took a cat in for adjusting was Mama cat and she had her 2 kittens to occupy her full time. How long does it normally take for a cat to adjust to indoors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Try treats and diffrent toys like laser pointers he will eventually get use to being inside it's just going to be hard the first little while

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Zoo Keeper

I actually still have the problem with Emma she was born wild ... I take her out on her leash to play outside when she wants and make sure to keep her busy. she LOVES her lazer pointer and our fish tank lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks girls

After the first night he hasn't really bothered again. I'm sure he'd run out if we let him. BUT, yesterday was the SPCA fall fair and we went and picked up a brand new collar, harness, cat dancer, fish toy, racoon toy and one other fuzzy toy for 6$!!! It was so awesome! Then I went back up to dollarama and picked up dishes and more toys (included with which was a laser).. We brought the lazer home and like the trick of the fairies taking the cable ties, it vanished. The apartment is not small but somehow we lost 200 cable ties which I needed to complete my bunny condo and now the flippin' laser!

Ollie, only after his second night, is adjusting well. He's very sooky and playful. The only thing that sucks is how Acacia is in the bathroom for a sleepover so she's not killed overnight. I let them meet and while he only seems interested I refuse to trust him until she's safe in her (what turned out to be) giant Condo frame.

He's just thankful for 2 people who love him and a warm place to stay with free trough of unlimited food! (*we are free feeding, and using slim cat ball for stimulation until he gains weight)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Nice to hear no his improvements and adjustment. My little brother here also read Ollie's situation and joked "bring the garbage inside!" grrr

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

(is your brother a member?? I didn't know of any current sibling members since the 2 sisters of Sunshine the rabbit, and myself and Vanilla!! )

Oliver is not interested in outdoors to an annoying degree anymore. He calmly watched the backyard from the bathroom window but when we call him or pass the bathroom he comes out and want to do something else!!

Update, we found the laser and while he's interested that he cannot catch the sneaky thing he's a little apprehensive of it's brightness. He chased it for a bit but would rather play with the cat dancer... Or one of Acacia's toys -_-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
(is your brother a member?? I didn't know of any current sibling members since the 2 sisters of Sunshine the rabbit, and myself and Vanilla!! )

Oliver is not interested in outdoors to an annoying degree anymore. He calmly watched the backyard from the bathroom window but when we call him or pass the bathroom he comes out and want to do something else!!

Update, we found the laser and while he's interested that he cannot catch the sneaky thing he's a little apprehensive of it's brightness. He chased it for a bit but would rather play with the cat dancer... Or one of Acacia's toys -_-
Hehe I'm sure acacia is just loving sharing her toys hehe did I read right you and vanillarat are sisters??? Sorry if I read that wrong

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

I picked out regular non-soundy stuffed toys for Oliver to attack bc Acacia don't pay attention to them. The only rabbit toy I gave Ollie was her old sisal carrot which she no longer plays with. He loves to hear it shake as he digs his claws in deep!! He's turns right savage when he plays! I make things "hide" to keep his hunting instincts sharp ^.^ (he's actually convinced the laser is alive and looks for it when it "sneaks" under a door or around a corner!!!)

And yes, me and VanillaRat are sisters!! She introduced ME to the site back in 2008 when I first got a computer!