Adopting for the first time! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Adopting for the first time!

Ok...while I have had a beautiful cat once, that I actually got from a former bully in the 2nd grade...I have never actually gone to an animal shelter to adopt anyone..I usually take peoples pets that they dont want and have heard from others that I take animals in. After my cat, Vixey passed away two years ago..I got a stray, Brownie, that showed up two months after my tragedy.

Anyway...I went to an animal shelter today..to donate food for cats..and my parents and I came across a kitten and we adopted her...personally, I will adopt any animal that will make eye contact with me..but this little girl caught the hearts of not only me, but my parents as well. I will upload some pics of her shortly, she is 8 weeks old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Part of the Pack

well congradulations on your new family member. That is great that you decided to adopt from a shelter i myself adopted my little dog harley from a shelter and was the best decision i have ever made. when i decide to get another cat it will most likely be from the shelter but i am sad to say i am getting a cat from a breeder which is the first time i've ever done that but i fell in love with nova. What are you going to be calling your new kitten? Can't wait to see pictures bet she is a cutie
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
well congradulations on your new family member. That is great that you decided to adopt from a shelter i myself adopted my little dog harley from a shelter and was the best decision i have ever made. when i decide to get another cat it will most likely be from the shelter but i am sad to say i am getting a cat from a breeder which is the first time i've ever done that but i fell in love with nova. What are you going to be calling your new kitten? Can't wait to see pictures bet she is a cutie
I have no clue as to what to call her..lol..so some input on names would greatly be appreciated..Im going to get her some food and toys today..as well as a temp crate to make sure she stays out of trouble..will def be interesting giving her intros with Brownie, my 6yr old stray that I took in two years ago..I will do intros in a few weeks though

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aww i'm sure she's cute congrats! i always suggest khalilah it means sweet heart (feminine) in arabic its pronounced as a throaty kha sound like in german lee lah but i like it better as ka-lee-lah hehe

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
I have no clue as to what to call her..lol..so some input on names would greatly be appreciated..Im going to get her some food and toys today..as well as a temp crate to make sure she stays out of trouble..will def be interesting giving her intros with Brownie, my 6yr old stray that I took in two years ago..I will do intros in a few weeks though
lol i have a thing for egyptian places so cleopatra is good. hmm i have a hard time giving pet's names it took me almost 2 weeks to come up with the name casanova for my aby. But that is really good that you take stray's in my fiancee took our now 5 year old cat in at 4 weeks old and he's quite the big boy but sweet.Gemmabella(i like beauty and the beast)lil ladyaleiahshylohoneycalypsotrinitynahlakiaradelila htinkerbellThose are all i can think of. Hope some of those help or i will think of some more
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Congrats on the new addition

I can't help with names since I don't know what the sweety looks like lol...but for me I always let my daughter name them lol, I named my old Poodle Petrie like from the land before time lol...go by her personality and her looks, it will come to you

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww! i miss havin kitties so bad! i always named my pets out of books, movies, music, etc. maybe it's a little geeky, but it's cute. good luck with your new baby!

George orwell
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, I always looks for names through books, movies ect
I still have not found a name that suits her...
but here are the pics I promised..definitely more to come in the near future..I am very snap happy with her!

And of course, I couldnt help but show my other girl, Brownie

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

what about autumn as thats when you got her? and its a cute name i think
or something halloweeny? like ghost or Hallow's eve and call her eve

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aww she is adorable and I love your cat brownie too.

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Newborn Pup

You have a beautiful new kitty there . I was volunteer at a shelter for a while and got very attached to alot of the cats. I'm actually thinking of adopting another cat, Tessie needs a friend lol.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

visiting that shelter is EXTREMELY difficult for me..yesterday I donated bags upon bags of cat food to them...and it's a kill shelter..so I always leave it in tears but I think everyone needs to visit one..It really shows you how bad this backyard breeding is
When I get my own place and hopefully have a descent living..I know I will be rescuing many of those animals that have a short amount of time left in a place like that, the experience has really opened my eyes

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Newborn Pup

I don't think I can ever go to a kill shelter. It would make me so upset that I can't help them.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Guarded by Waffles

That kitten is sooooo cute!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah..but if you could save one..you know..at least you know that you have saved the life of one

Thanks for all the compliments...I will be sure to post more updates of her

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Tags
kitten