Adopting a Middle age cat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Adopting a Middle age cat?

So, I have been thinking for a while about getting my boyfriend a cat for Christmas...He's been wanting one for so long but I have always been hesitant about getting a kitten since they are such hard work and constantly needing to be watched or potty trained....Stuff like that.

I was thinking though of getting him an older cat from the pound. I really want to rescue a cat and I feel like we would be doing the best thing by getting an older one. Plus, hopefully it will be as healthy as possible and already litter box trained. We just don't want a kitten because we go away for days at a time, not long, maybe a weekend here or there and I think an older cat would be able to handle that a lot better than a tiny kitten. So...

All of you guys out there that have adopted older cats, what are some warning signs to look for? I just don't want to get a cat home and realize that its too ___ (crazy, un-potty trained, eats anything, wierd stuff). It would break my heart to have to take a cat back, so does anyone know what to look for when getting an older cat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mostly I believe the most common ailment is a FLUTD, particularly if it's male. I believe FLUTD happens between 5-8 years of age if I remember reading correctly. Other than that, I'm sure it would be a great thing to adopt an older cat that needs a home.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
RAT ADDICT

Adoption is a great choice!

I would ask the shelter or rescue all they know about the cat or it's history/health.And spend time with the cat before taking him home.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Some kittens are harder than cats, but some aren't. They mostly all already know how to use the litter box...

It's great that you would want an older cat though, they are harder to adopt out. I would say the main problem you might have is unknown behavior problems that you wouldn't know about, but other than that I think your fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Rodentologist

Your best guarantee is to go to a reputable rescue. A rescue that is enforcing it's contracts and doing a good job will make sure that you get the type of cat that you want, and they're going to make sure you get a healthy cat as well.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Part of the Pack

Thats great that you want to adopt. My new cat was adopted from the humane society just last friday and she was a stray and same with my almost 8 year old cat sylvester though he was found as a stray and my fiance took him in(he was only 4 weeks old at the time) my small breed dog was also adopted from our local humane society. I would spend atleast 15-20 minutes with any cats you are interested in to make sure you click with the cat(make sure your boyfriend is there with you as most rescues want to meet everyone thats in the house it will living in) me and my fiance were going in thinking we wanted an older cat but we knew we didnt want a kitten either. We saw a 10 year old cat there that we were thinking of adopting but then i saw ava and knew she was going to be our cat.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aw, yeah I hope this can work out. It's just a thought, who knows if it will actually happen! So rescues can bring the cats to your home? I think that at our shelter you can hold the cat and that's about it, but I would like some time to make sure that the kitty doesn't have any major behavioral problems. Thats the thing I am most worried about.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Part of the Pack

Sorry guess i wasnt to clear. When you go to the shelter they ask that everyone is there when you are looking at all the animals at the shelter. They usually get you to be in a small room at the shelter for atleast 15-20 minutes to see if you like the cat or not. Thats why most shelters will make you spend a little bit of time with the cat you are wanting to adopt to see if there are any issues with the cat that you dont like. We were interested in another cat named avalon before we went to see our now cat ava. The cat has a heart murmur that was rated a 3 out of 6 so it could have come back at any time and cost us alot of money and she would most likely have been put down at some point(when we would never be able to know) so if you do look for an older cat make sure they tell you if she has any health issues that could be a problem when they get older specially if its a serious health issue that could lead to serious heartbreak down the road.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Rodentologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
Aw, yeah I hope this can work out. It's just a thought, who knows if it will actually happen! So rescues can bring the cats to your home? I think that at our shelter you can hold the cat and that's about it, but I would like some time to make sure that the kitty doesn't have any major behavioral problems. Thats the thing I am most worried about.
It depends on the rescue, most of them will bring at least one or two cats to your house if you want to meet them (or allow you to come to theirs). But since the cats are in foster homes and getting regular veterinary care (which sometimes shelters can't afford to do) you've got a more detailed picture about that animal and their personality.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Betta Bomb

Congrats on deciding to adopt!! As the others said, try to learn as much as you can about the cat from spending time with it. Our humane society keeps most of its cats in a large room instead of cages so they display more natural behaviors. Play and pet and feel them to see how they react Good luck
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Absolutely great idea to adopt. My auntie did rescued 4 years old cat, which happen from a very loving family that can't take her anymore as they have to move. Meeting at least couple of times before deciding to adopt is a good move on knowing more about the cat, middle age would be just fine.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would love to adopt, but it sounds like its not something my boyfriend and I can do right now. But thanks for all of your wonderful advice!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Hello Earthling

Even though you said you are not planning to adopt at the moment I thought I would add a little of my own opinion.

An older cat is a good idea, since everyone else is looking for kittens and the older cats get left behind.

Usually they always come litter trained its like their born with it but it is always a smart idea to keep the cat confined in a room for a few weeks. This means you won't have to hunt the cat down, you'll be able to go in and sit with the cat and the cat will be close to all its needs (food, water, litter box etc...)

When you getting a cat from the shelter (which is always a good idea) they usually have URI's with will be with them for the rest of their lives, since it is a virus that will go dormant and then reappear. Although some cats can live the rest of their lives without it causing an issue. Just be prepared to give extra lovings to a kitty who is under the weather.

Another suggestion is don't get a new pet around the holidays. There is just to much hustle and bustle that will stress out your new family member and you won't have all the time that is necessary to bond with your new addition.