Adopting my parents adult cats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Adopting my parents adult cats

Hi all, I need some help/advice. My parents are emigrating later in the year and can not take their 13 yr old litter-brothers with them. I'm warming to the idea of adopting them but have a few reservations.

I'm very fond of these guys and remember having them curled up in my hand as very small kittens when feeding them from a milk syringe. They always head for my lap within a few minutes of arriving at my folks house so there is a good connection there.

I don't have any pets and never really wanted any. I'm a 31 yr old single guy with no ties and like it that way. I'd be prepared to change that to give these fellas ("Felix" and "Lord Gort") a nice old age.

My reservations are all about the cats and whether they will settle well here. My neighbourhood is full of cats already.

So there it is, any help appreciated!

1. Will the cats try to run away?
2. Could I convert them into indoor-only cats?
3. Will they settle into my neighbourhood?
4. Will they freak out cos I'd be around but my parents won't be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

they would adjust to just you, if you wanted you could build a dog kennel cage thing in the yard for them to go out side but i don't advise having indoor out door cats, especially when moving they don't know the neighbor hood and could get hurt, lost, or killed. Most do transition fine to be indoor only.

they may or may not TRY to run away, they could get lost, disoriented, or hurt they don't know where their home is. keeping some of their smells (beds, toys, food dishes...) does help transition them.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Hello Earthling

Given time the cats will adjust to their new home. You could create an outdoor enclosure for them, but it would ne better to convert them to indoor only cats as it is safer and all around better for you and the cats.

Bring along all of their old thingf from your parents house including some of your parents belongings such as bed sheets, clothes etc... this will help them transition into their new home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Exactly, if you google search SunCATchers, they have a page of outdoor pens that contain cats, but still give them the benefit of being outside. But it's quite simple to build your own.

http://habitathaven.com/build-your-o...enclosure.html

Tags
adopt, old cats