Advice needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Advice needed

So my cat started raising his front paw when sitting and has a slight limp, not all the time but every now and then since this morning he's been avoiding putting weight on his paw, ive checked it out myself no cuts nails all look healthy but when I move his toe he yells at me, I dont know if its broken he dosnt really flinch or anything when i touch it just meows, should I bring him to a vet right away can they even do anything for a broken toe, at the same time hes still jumping up and down everything before I can stop him he really seems fine im just the paranoid type dont know if its worth the vet trip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Newborn Pup

I would take him just incase to be honest. I had a cat that had a slight limp one time. It was a bit different than what your explaining mind you but, it ended up being arthritis. How old is your cat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

He just turned one a month or so ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

One year old**
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So just an update its been 10 12 hours and hes still walking around and jumping up and down my entertainment stand whenever im not looking but he still lifts it when hes not moving or sitting still, hes also started to groom it a lot... I googled it as well and im 100% sure theres nothing stuck in there no cut no swelling he just meows at me when i get between his pad and finger tips one what would be his middle finger I guess... its now canada day and will be lucky to find an open vet, any ideas on what I could do to help him out?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 AM
It's all for them

Please take your cat to the vet. A vet is trained to find out what's wrong and will know more what to look for.

Keep us posted.

Declawing: please read this first

Last edited by somebody; 07-01-2011 at 06:01 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I know what a vet is for and from my understanding this forum is to help inform people of what to do when thats not possible, its Canada day and nothing is open I will get him to the vet ASAP but in the meantime im looking for advice on what I can do to help him, not the obvious. So unless someone can offer any advice on what I can do to help him with the pain or if applying heat or cold is a good option I dont need to hear take him to a vet.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit997 View Post
I know what a vet is for and from my understanding this forum is to help inform people of what to do when thats not possible, its Canada day and nothing is open I will get him to the vet ASAP but in the meantime im looking for advice on what I can do to help him, not the obvious. So unless someone can offer any advice on what I can do to help him with the pain or if applying heat or cold is a good option I dont need to hear take him to a vet.
We are not vets and cannot give medical advice over the internet. We don't know what is wrong with your cat, so cannot advise you on what to do for him.

If you feel this is an emergency, call your vet's phone number and find out who is on call and call the on call vet, or take him to an emergency vet center if one is available in your area. Otherwise you and your cat will have to wait it out until tomorrow.

The only advice I can give is to leave the paw alone, stop feeling it and messing with it to see if it is hurting him. Make sure he is getting enough to eat and plenty to drink and using the litter box normally. Encourage him to rest the foot by keeping him inside and not playing.

Do NOT give him any human pain medicines, as these are toxic to cats. Don't wrap the foot or put heat or ice on it, it is dangerous to treat something when you don't know what you are treating.

Just let it be, make sure he eats and drinks and voids, and get him seen tomorrow if there is no improvement.

Declawing: please read this first
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Newborn Pup

Most likely too young for arthritis. If its not getting better take him forsure. Let us know how it went!

Tags
cats paw