Advice needed: My 6 month old kitten - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Bee
Newborn Pup

Advice needed: My 6 month old kitten

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum

I thought I'd start out by posting about an issue I'm having with my kitten. This is my first pet so I am still trying to figure out what is normal behavior

He used to snuggle up to my either my partner or myself every night when we first got him while watching tv & cry non stop when left him in another room away from us etc.

Now he is constantly under the couch, sitting in the bathroom by himself or in other rooms alone. While watching TV he is only sat on me once in the past couple of weeks. He is eating as normal, he is playing actively when we play with his toys & seems to play by himself (seems less than normal though)

Him being solitary so soon after being so needy is what's worrying me. I'm not sure if that's just a sign of growing up or if he is depressed or something.

He does sleep at the end of the bed & on my pillow for some of the night, every night & purrs like crazy when we get home. We both work all day & live in a one bedroom apartment, I am starting to worry that he is bored. He has plenty of toys but still...

Thanks so much for reading and I appreciate any advice

Thanks, Bee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:01 AM

Hi, Bee. First of all, Welcome to Paw Talk! I have a question for you. Have you had your kitten checked out by a vet? Whenever I get a new kitten, I always take my new babies to the vet for their first vet check and immediately start their vaccinations. If the vet has cleared your kitten and all is well in that area, then I am thinking your kitten sounds lonely. Do you have room for a second kitten to adopt? I guess I have never had the problem of a lonely kitten, LOL, I have always had more than one. Please keep us posted on how your little one is doing. And, we would love to see pictures too. Another question, how old is your kitten?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I am the kind of person that thinks almost any animal should have a companian. I am NOT saying you should run out and get another cat.
I think he will probably grow out of it. He might come around and he might not. I have known plenty of shy cats. I dog sat for a lady who had a cat that I didn't even see for the week that I was there. When i was growing up I had a cat that was very shy and it really took me actually going into the room and getting her and bringing her out into the "chaos" for her to know it was okay to come around. I wouldn't be too worried health wise, I would maybe try to bring her into the rooms you are in and talking to her and stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Bee
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzKityLvsBrdsTo View Post
Hi, Bee. First of all, Welcome to Paw Talk! I have a question for you. Have you had your kitten checked out by a vet? Whenever I get a new kitten, I always take my new babies to the vet for their first vet check and immediately start their vaccinations. If the vet has cleared your kitten and all is well in that area, then I am thinking your kitten sounds lonely. Do you have room for a second kitten to adopt? I guess I have never had the problem of a lonely kitten, LOL, I have always had more than one. Please keep us posted on how your little one is doing. And, we would love to see pictures too. Another question, how old is your kitten?
Thanks so much for writing back!!

Hello! He is 6 months old, he was recently taken to the vet to get a shot & the vet said he seemed fine. He had a urinary infection a few weeks ago but seems fine now.

We do not have room to adopt another kitten but we intend to move out when our lease is up mid next yr & we will definitely get one then...because of the responses so far I think he really might be lonely because he doesn't have a shy personality aw, it's breaking my heart!

I'm going to post pics in a sec, just loading some onto the computer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Bee
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
I am the kind of person that thinks almost any animal should have a companian. I am NOT saying you should run out and get another cat.
I think he will probably grow out of it. He might come around and he might not. I have known plenty of shy cats. I dog sat for a lady who had a cat that I didn't even see for the week that I was there. When i was growing up I had a cat that was very shy and it really took me actually going into the room and getting her and bringing her out into the "chaos" for her to know it was okay to come around. I wouldn't be too worried health wise, I would maybe try to bring her into the rooms you are in and talking to her and stuff.
Thanks so much for writing back.

The weird thing is, I'm not sure he's a shy cat at all. When we first got him, all he wanted to do was explore & he is not scared of other people at all. He'll playfully bite us (I think it's playfully) but he seems to want to be alone all the time instead of snuggling like he used to.

*sigh* I think another kitten is definitely in order but not until we move into a bigger place.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Have you tried toys that will cause him to be interactive with you? Laser toys? da bird? Maybe he'd like that...also, maybe he's just growing into a solitary type. My MIL's male cats really didn't feel the need for much human interaction. They'd come up to her every now and then for a snuggle, but it was pretty rare. They were certainly friendly cats - just not snuggly lap kitties. Now my girls are constantly around us, wanting our attention - definitely lap kitties! I wish they were a little more solitary sometimes, lol. So there are certainly different temperaments to consider. I'm glad you'll be getting him a buddy someday though - it's really fun to watch them play and teach each other things.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 08:44 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

When I was growing up I had a 3 cats, and 1 of those cats loved to play with us, love us when he wanted but prefered to be alone, didn't seek out the other cats, just wanted to be by himself...the other 2 were complete loves, as was he, he was just sort of a loner...so maybe he just wants to be alone...seeks out attention when he wants it...

Our kitten now is a love, when we first got him he slept with Ashley every night, freaked out when she left, now he sleeps on the couch and only goes to her to play...he will still let her cuddle him, but nothing like before lol...but its ok, hes a growing boy lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Part of the Pack

That's exactly like my 2 and my foster cat. I've got a 5 year old who loves to be by himself and only comes to you when you are on the toilet or by yourself he will come for a couple pet's and rubs on the belly but that is about it then he gets bored gives you a little nip that tell's us to leave him. He is the only cat that really does that except for our foster he's a bit like my 5 year cat but still loves attention when you are laying in bed. Some cat's are born to be loners other's just love attention. But i would agree with getting another kitten for him to play with since kittens play with each other differently then they play with humans.

Tags
bored, depression, kitten alone