Affordable but good cat foods? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Affordable but good cat foods?

Hi, another question. I forget the name of the food we feed our cats but my wife insists it has better things in it than science diet . . . I was wondering what other people think are great cat foods and why.

I don't want to sound rude but the "why" is important to me. "I've been feeding my cat 9-Lives for 3 years and he's still alive" is an example of answers I got elsewhere and they never really help and always seem to provoke arguments with other people on the board or blog and just tend to derail the thread :-) .

Thanks in advance,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 01:31 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

I have been feeding my cats cat chow in door because I have one cat that seems to have a sensitive stomach and that is the only one that she doesn't get sick with all the time. As well none of them seem to get hair balls like they use to before we tried this. It may not be the best stuff for cats but it is for ours since other things upset one of our poor babies bellies. You have to go with what works for you and your cats not what others say is the best because ultimately you know what is the best for your pets by they way they act and what not.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:17 AM
RAT ADDICT

My mom also feeds her cats "Purina cat chow" and has been for yrs with most of her cats and have never ever had problems on it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Salamander Buffalokisser

Purina kitten chow is what I feed my cat Kramer I do this only because he looses weight really bad when I take him off it to another food. I asked the vet if it was ok to keep him on the kitten chow since he isn't a kitten and she said it was ok due to the fact that it helps him keep a healthy weight. But I would do what ever works for you and your cats. Every cat is different.

Stephanie
Be who you are and say what you feel
Because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind

check out my blog:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 06:14 PM

I've been feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul dry kibble. Why? Well, I was on a food hunt for quite a while after I needed to transition my cats from kitten food to adult food. Both girls were on Nutro Natural Choice dry kibble and pouches. When I tried to transition, one of the girls started vomiting. I did the transition gradually, so I didn't think it was due to that. I tried different varieties of the Nutro to no avail. This was also well before any of the recalls. Anyhow, we switched her to Science Diet Sensitive Stomach at the Vet's recommendation. The cat's hated it, and still kitty vomited. I read a few posts on here about the Chicken soup, and liked that it was holistic and got good reviews, so I tried it. No vomiting, a good ingredient list, and holistic. It's also quite affordable, so it fits the bill around here!

I also supplement with Wellness pouches, as one of the girls is picky and will only eat wet food if it's in a pouch. Wellness is one of the few brands I've found after the recall that has pouched food without wheat gluten that the girls actually like the taste of and has a good ingredient list.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 09:33 AM

People can live off fast food and live long lives eating crap, but is it good for them? No. There are healthier options.

I'd look into foods like Wellness, Fromm, the Innova formulas, or Merrick for a start.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Fluffy Chimphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvBullyKisses View Post
People can live off fast food and live long lives eating crap, but is it good for them? No. There are healthier options.

I'd look into foods like Wellness, Fromm, the Innova formulas, or Merrick for a start.
we tried the better foods and our one cat still got sick this is the only one she hasn't gotten sick so there are other things to consider other then just the healthier foods. since sometimes
they aren't the healthy choice for a specific animal. vets will also recommend the 'junk food' food for a cat for a reason as well. i am not trying to turn this in to a debate so if that is how i am coming across i am sorry.

Mum to 1 sweet angel Skyla
and 3 little Furry monsters Tigger (Wiggers)
, Soxy Butt (toxic)
and Button (Butt Head)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Right now my cats are eating:

Purina Naturals Plus Vitamins and Minerals

Here's what it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Purina-Cat-Cho...9827066&sr=8-1

We changed to this after deciding the science diet was getting one of our cats sick almost every time she ate it.

The "Purina" name rings loud with thoughts of crap in my head. My wife thinks it is great though and if the name wasn't on it, I probably would think its fine too.

What do you think?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

I know people who use Purina and have never had problems on it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, kitten food, nutro natural choice, wet food