After PU surgery - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

After PU surgery

My black male cat aged 6 just had PU surgery on Monday and 2 stones removed from his bladder. I brought him home last night. He is confined to my bedroom and I purchased a large dog carrier to contain him, a small litterbox, food and water. My problem is that last night when i brought him home, he decided to poop on my bedspread. This morning, he peed there. I had tried placing him in his litter box, for which I am sure he has an aversion. He simply jumped out and went for the bed and pooped again. I know he doesn't like the recycled newspaper pellets. In the vet hospital they just used shredded paper towels, but I know he peed on the towel he was laying on too while hospitalized and I fear he has been "retrained" to eliminated on terry cloth and such. How do I retrain him.

Also...he isn't drinking as much as I would like. I finally coaxed him to drink water from canned chicken...so at least dehydration isn't the problem...yet. Any thoughts from anyone on how I can entice him to drink water again? The Elizabethan collar doesn't help...he goes and knocks most bowls over.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. This is my little boy who is my only family. I will do whatever it takes to make him well again.

Oh, and his sister, hates him, so for now they are separated. How to get them reunited would also be appreciated.

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:05 PM

Hi there,
I'm sorry about your kitty. Do you think a soft e-collar would help him get to the water dish more effectively than the hard e-collar?

Here's a link

Trimline Soft Elizabethan Collar 4 inch - Dog Elizabethan Collars at Arcata Pet Supplies

They also make some that look like flat frisbee shapes, but it seems like that might be difficult too, even though they're also soft.

I don't have much else to offer, but I wish you both well!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

I have not heard of that. I took him to my vet this A.M. because I think his collar "snagged" one of the sutures out. He is a little Houdini and is making me a nervous wreck. Last night he was trying to groom himself...too much it seems to me. Will ask the vet about that too.
thanks for the thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 03:25 PM
can't think of one, help

try tuna water, and could be his sister still smells VET on him. It'll take some time for him to return to normal.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM

After PU surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebird219 View Post
My black male cat aged 6 just had PU surgery on Monday and 2 stones removed from his bladder. I brought him home last night. He is confined to my bedroom and I purchased a large dog carrier to contain him, a small litterbox, food and water. My problem is that last night when i brought him home, he decided to poop on my bedspread. This morning, he peed there. I had tried placing him in his litter box, for which I am sure he has an aversion. He simply jumped out and went for the bed and pooped again. I know he doesn't like the recycled newspaper pellets. In the vet hospital they just used shredded paper towels, but I know he peed on the towel he was laying on too while hospitalized and I fear he has been "retrained" to eliminated on terry cloth and such. How do I retrain him.

Also...he isn't drinking as much as I would like. I finally coaxed him to drink water from canned chicken...so at least dehydration isn't the problem...yet. Any thoughts from anyone on how I can entice him to drink water again? The Elizabethan collar doesn't help...he goes and knocks most bowls over.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. This is my little boy who is my only family. I will do whatever it takes to make him well again.

Oh, and his sister, hates him, so for now they are separated. How to get them reunited would also be appreciated.

Sally
So sorry about your baby. My cat has struvite crystals and also does not drink water. I am hand feeding her wet food and giving her myls of water every chance i get. I use the 3ML syringe that you use for medications. This is why our cats got sick in the first place, lots of dry food and not drinking water. I sympathize with you as I practically follow my cat around and put water in her mouth every chance I get. I'm fighting giving her the prescription diets. I'm feeding her the Wellness Chicken formula and just a few granules of Nutro Indoor Weight Management. She would eat bowls and bowls of dry food but it is the worst thing for her. I have a hard time because I have 4 other cats and she probably feels she's being punished. If your cat is eating wet food, the vet told me they don't drink as much water as the wet food is 75-80% water. However, I still give mine additional water.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

He maybe just letting you know something is "wrong" by using your bed as his litter box. Of course you already know something is wrong. And the fact that you know he doesn't like the litter that is not going to encourage him to use something other than your bed.
In the meantime get I would recommend you get a waterproof matress pad or two. There are nice ones that are not plastic.
Good luck with your baby.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny

Tags
dry food, litter box, male cat, pet supplies, wet food