Alternative to E-Collar? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Alternative to E-Collar?

I know this is a strange question- but Abby-the-wounded is absolutely miserable in the E-Collar.

I take it off when she eats and I let her clean her paws and face- but as soon as she goes for the drains or sutures I have to pop it back on her.

She just seems so depressed and freaked out by that thing around her head.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of an alternative? I did some poking around on the web and saw one that went around the neck but didn't cover the face but there was no ordering information.

She has to have it on until the sutures are removed. Probably another week? I am thinking...

If there is some way of keeping her from licking the wound and pulling out the drains or sutures without having to wear that horrid torture device I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Deja

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sometimes a large towel around the neck will prevent them from being able to reach it. If you fold it in fourths and secure it around her neck just under her chin, it may work. Just keep an eye out.

We use cloth e-collars at work for cats who go after their IV catheters - you might check the pet stores and see if they carry one. Most cats are more comfortable with them.

Stephanie

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ohhhh Jade! Thanks!! I will give the towel a try! Anything has got to me more comfortable than that barbaric thing she is in right now

Twice (both times I was napping) she's wriggled out of it and licked the entire area clean. She didn't disturb the drains or sutures though! That was the first thing I would expect her to do - pull a drain. UGH! I coated the area with Bacitracin both times- as well as doing it frequently throughout the day anyway.

Her fur is just a mess So... I found an old toothbrush and last night I spent about an hour - just brushing her with it- she loved it! I removed a ton of icky dandruff-ish flakes and a wad of loose fur. It's amazing how clean cats keep themselves and when they can't groom how fast they get icky.

Now she's velcro'd to me- sitting on my lap or legs, which is fine because we're both stuck in bed

I'm working on trying to get some pictures posted....

Deja

[center]

[

Tags
pet store, pet stores