Alternatives to declawing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Alternatives to declawing

My cat Napoleon is almost 2 years old and is getting VERY bad with scratching furniture, speakers, people, and anything he can get his paws on. I've never considered declawing and I won't...but I am getting a little fed up. We've tried disciplining him immediately after he scratches something (squirt gun, grabbing him and putting him in "time out" in the basement, etc) but he just doesn't get it. He seems so oblivious to the fact that he's even doing anything wrong. He acts so surprised when we do anything to discipline him and he often just goes right back to scratching. He can't seem to make the connection.

We keep his nails trimmed but he still does a fair amount of damage. He has his own scratching post/tower but he rarely uses it. I know they market nail caps for cats as an alternative to declawing so I'm just looking for any experience stories or reasons not to use this option. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for things I could try before resorting to nail caps, I'm all ears He's a great cat but it seems like I'm always after him to stop scratching something.

Thanks!

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

a lady I worked for a couple of years ago had those nail caps on her cat and they seemed to work great with no discomfort to the cat. The only problem is that they aren't permanent and will eventually fall off and need to be replaced.
Hope you find something that works. My experience is that cats aren't like dogs...they can't be disciplined because they don't learn not to do it, they just learn to get even with you when you least expect it! lol
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 03:38 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellahart
My experience is that cats aren't like dogs...they can't be disciplined because they don't learn not to do it
Same here, the only success I've ever had with getting a cat not to do something was by taking away the opportunity.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Perhaps some plastic skirts or something around furniture... You can't teach a cat not to do something. YOu either take away the opportunity or you give them a suitable alternative. Sometimes a scratching post isn't accepable for the cat. My aunt let her cat shred newspapers (Only issue this caused was he'd do it if you left them on the couch and a,lso try to shred some books but most of th time he knew newspaper from books) and also a cheap leather handbag he was allowed to scratch at. See if you can find something he'll like and instead of punishing him, trade him with something he can scratch at.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

We used the nail caps for a while. They're called Soft Paws. I still have some around here somewhere...

They are great while they're on, I'll leave it at that. When they fall off, it's hard to get the cats to co-operate to re-attach them sometimes.

Jason and I opted for multiple cat trees. We have two cat trees in the living room and one in the bedroom. They haven't really scratched on anything else since we bought them the trees.

Check out ebay.com for some cheap cat trees. All three cat trees combined were probably $200 including shipping I'm a bargain hunter...we have one that's about 80" tall and at a normal pet shop that one in particular would run you about $300 by itself.

Armarkat is the name of the company that makes our cat trees. Here's the link to their ebay store. http://stores.ebay.com/Armarkat-Cat-Furniture-Store

The prices are very cheap, but watch out for shipping prices, sometimes they can be steep depending on how large the cat tree is.

~*Mandi*~

Mommy to Merlin, Milo, and Gryffin!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:04 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

http://www.softpaws.com/ These are great and I do use them on both my cats. I have one who is a complete witch when it comes to my box springs of my bed as it seems to be the only furniture she fixates on. I also have a 12 week old kitten who isnt too bad but I am getting him used to the soft paws now. You can find an off brand at the major pet stores. The last one's I bought were from PetSupermarket. They dont hurt them at all and in my experience last awhile. The kits usually have enough to last 4 to 6 months. I swear by them as not only protecting my furniture but from the severe swipes my oldest cat can place on the other animals when she's in a mood. As far as application, I cut the nails then apply the cap while I have them wrapped up in a towel if uncooperative. Usually I get them on in a short time without too much fuss.

Last edited by SwC; 04-27-2006 at 07:07 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

we found a flat scratching surface at walmart. it is made of a pretty strong cardboard and has cat nip in it so the cats are attracted to it. all three of my cats loved it even the one who doesn't have claws (previous owner had him declawed ) it only cost like 5 bucks too.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

those nail caps are really cool. i had never heard of them before. have i mentioned how much i love paw talk? i always find such cool stuff here.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Title Spy

Thanks for the ideas and stories everyone I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the furniture (hey, it's a cat, I expect some scratched up things) but he's taken to scratching people. It's an affection thing for him, I think. He'll come up behind us and stretch right up and drag his claws on whatever he can touch. It's not a really big deal but he's drawn blood a few times.

I'll try buying more scratch towers but I don't think it's really his thing. Maybe I can get him a pillow or something with similar fabric to the furniture that he could have all for himself, lol. I'm not buying the Soft Paws just yet but I might end up doing that in the future.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I Have Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome

Scratching people? Ouch! Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

I got a valentine!

3 cats, Yazi, Bit, and Thunder
8 rats, Bob, Cocoa, Zara, Kennit, Aviendha, Skewer, Bean, and Raleigh
3 mice, Briella, Sophie, and Jackson

Tags
pet shop, pet store, pet stores