Amputation - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Unhappy Amputation

Has anyone on here ever had to have there cats leg amputated and if so how hard was it rehabilitating the cat again?

The reason i ask is last night my cat kitty came back covered in blood and limping on closer inspection i thought her bone was sticking through her leg so i got her to a vets and they say she has cut through her achilles tendon and if they can't salvage it she might have to have her leg amputated so i'm sat here worrying right now of the what if's as we all do in situations such as this

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

how awful! i really hope they can help her out, my fingers are crossed for her. i hope she recovers well without amputating her leg. keep us updated

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

Amethystbelle

Woa thats awful , im sure your cat will be allright, but I would'nt worry too much if the vet sais the worst, I have seen a few cats in my time on three legs and they seem ok.

Hopefully it wont come to be amputated.

= (.) _ (.) = Toky-Ohki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I haven't gone through that myself, but all the cats I have known have done just fine with amputation. The re-habilitation time is really up to the individual cat, but be there for her and she should come through just fine!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thanks guys

Just got a news update from the vets and shes come through the operation ok and they think they have saved her leg so fingers crossed, shes got to stay over night at vets but i can fetch her in the morning Just a shame its happened to her as she was a stray who i found half starved and took me a long time to gain her trust and now shes the best cat ever and ever so loving and its second vet trip this year, first time she had been licking toads and got a blister on the tongue I spend half my life at vets was only there the other week with my dog as she had to have emergency surgery as she had stones they laugh when they see me coming and my debit card

Kirsty

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she is alright and that her leg is able to be saved! I dont know from personal experience on how cats do with three legs, but I know a few dogs that only have three and I swear they dont even know one is missing. I hope she gets to keep hers though...if not I hope for a speedy recovery for her.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Kirsty, I hope your cat is ok? I am pretty sure they cope well with 3 legs.. Keep us informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm glad that they think they have saved the leg! I hope she heals quickly!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well shes home, i fetched her back from the vets this morning and she was happy to see me, the look on her face said it all, get me out of this joint as its full or torturers lol!!! She's on strict bed rest for a month to make sure her legs heals right, but how on earth i want to know do you keep an active cat still, she can hardly walk with the bandaging but still wants to go out She's already holding me hostage by pretending to sleep in front of the door as she thinks if she can't go out i can't I'm glad to have her home though and can't wait to have her back to her usual annoying little self

Oh and she says a very big mia "thankyou"ow to everyone who wished her well

Kirsty

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 08:33 AM
Adolescent Pup

im glad it worked out alright, and i wish her a speedy recovery x

Jo x x x

[Mr & Mrs Degu and 3 babies!]