Ancient Cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Ancient Cat

Hi, my friend's cat needs his nails clipped, problem is, he's 20 years old. The groomers won't touch him without his check up, but her mom is afraid the stress would kill him. I suggested cutting his nails themselves, so does anyone have any advice in cutting an old cat's nails?
Thanks in advance =3
Plus his fur looks dull (I think mostly 'cause he's old, but maybe there's something that can help still)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

probably be best if you leave him alone since he is so old. just in my opinoin tho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Glowing New Mommy

unless his nails are proving a problem, i wouldnt worry about it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Adolescent Pup

all you can do is provide a scratching pad or poast with catnip hidden in it
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Oily Chickenspew

i trim my cat's nails when i go home (she lives w/my dad and step mom) and she's 19 years old...we just started trimming them about 6 months ago b/c she doesn't keep them 'clawed down' enought on her own and sticks to the carpet like velcro!!

i just trim off hte very tip where you can see all white...don't trim into the brownish colored area or the nail will bleed b/c you'll cut the quick... i usually feed her cat treats after each paw and pet her alot and talk to her calmly to help keep her calm....hope this helps

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Um, they are proving a problem, else they wouldn't bother with it, some of the nails are digging into his paws, so yeah, they can't leave it alone.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

people always ask me to cut there cats claws for them, the best thing to do, is to tell them that if they sit on the couch petting him or in bed or whatever to play with his feet a little bit so he gets used to it, then one day do it with the clippers in hand, jus do the very tips, you can always do more later if you need to, if you do too much, it will hurt him and he wont let you touch his paws anymore, i use a clipper that has a lil piece on it to adjust how much your cutting just do one nail at a time, them love on him, then do another, it takes awhile but it works
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Yeah, he's not really a fast moving squirmy cat, they could prolly clip his nails while he's snoozing and he'd never notice, they're just afraid of hurting him. I told them all they need to do is avoid the quick, but *shrug* they think one claw is curved and is growing through his paw, but on closer inspection, it's just curved in a circle, between his toes. Still has to hurt.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

if his claws are that long he needs to be taken to a vet so they can clip it without hurting him, i didnt think a cats claws could get that long
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubie
Um, they are proving a problem, else they wouldn't bother with it, some of the nails are digging into his paws, so yeah, they can't leave it alone.
SO guess what? you never stated that they were that long .. you just said he needed them clipped, so dont come off gettin a attitude with me since i said "unless they're causing a problem" therefore i didnt know they were... state your case more clearly next time

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Well obviously they wouldn't bother a 20 year old cat with nail trimming unless he needed it, whether it be a little bit or a lot, because eventually, even if it was just a little thing now, would literally grow into a bigger problem.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

fight nice ladies.. Fubie I still say it needs to be taken to a vet, hes prolly do for a check up anyway. if they wont take him to a vet, you might want to go ahead and jus clip them for them.. remember its best to do a little bit at a time, even if there super long, have some cornstartch ready just in case you cut to far and it starts to bleed.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow I didn't know cats nails could grow so long that they'll curl around?! Poor kitty If that's the case I vote for a vet trip also!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Glowing New Mommy

Yeah, thats called poor care in the first place

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:37 PM
Miss New Booty

Fubie, I really think your friends kitty needs to be seen by the vet. If his claws are curling around that bad, it could grow into the pad and be very painful, cause infection, etc. Ouch!

I agree with Tarita and Angelnstuff, that's how we always cut our cats nails, great tips. This is the nail clipper we use on the cats and dogs nails, I think it's easier than some of the other clippers they sell. (Here is a link I found.. http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2025565&Ne=2 )
I don't personally like the ones that squeeze together, if that makes sense. That might be for big dogs though with thicker nails. I just know we had some once and I didn't like them.

Lets remember to keep this thread nice please.

~* Jackie *~

Tags
pet store, poor kitty, prairie dog, prairie dogs, vet visit