Angry cat needs a shave. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angry cat needs a shave.

I moved in with a friend recently, we have lots of pets here. A little dog, 2 cats and i have 3 rats.

One of the cat's called Jelly, has has majour temper problems since she was a kitten, she used to bite and scratch if you came anywhere near her.

Over the 5 years she has been she she has calmed down tons and is very sociable now. Sometimes she gets rather pissy, random lashings out but if unprovoked she liked being stroked on her head and sitting on your lap.

She is a Persian, but she is very very messed up. Her eyes are usually weeping with gluey gunk. her nose is really really squished and snotty and her teeth were poking out of her face (we sorted her teeth out)

She screeches, claws, growls and does everything in her power to make sure she can't be brushed. her fur is very long and soft, it gets really knotted and the knots get to tight to her skin and when this happens she starts getting very angry again. We have to pin her to the floor with her yowling at us, and snip all her fur off with a small pair of scissors. Most scissors don't cut her fur, it just get's tangled around the blade. The problem is her fur is so fine it takes hours and hours to cut the knots out. With her constant biting and struggling it's a nightmare.

We managed to borrow a very high quality animal shaver and we shaved her. Once she was shaved she was very happy! she meowed around the house, snuggled up to people and greeted people when they came into the house, it was great, she was so happy (if not a little chilly) But alas... all her fur has grown back and we are having trouble with the cat again.

We went to a vet with her to ask how much it would cost to shave her each week. It came to over £200 a month if we wanted to keep her nicely shaved (and happy). Where would i be able to get a pair of high quality animal shaver, it needs to be able to cut very fine and floaty fur. We have tried regular hair shavers and it just get's clogged the instant it touches the fur...

Any help on how to deal with her would be great. We don't want to put her down. With care she lives happily, we have her teeth sorted already and this left us out of pocket a little, so we can't afford the monthly shave. Investing in a shaver and any other advice would be amazing. Thank you for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Zoo Keeper

what about sheep sheers? They work great so would dog clippers I would think Since they are made for breeds with " hair" as well.

Also I know thats a lot of money but you could probably find VERY high quality clippers for less and use those. Or ask a groomer what brand they use.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i suggest getting her trimmed once at the groomers and then just keep it grooming it on ur own, petsmarts and other pet places have some pretty good clippers.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Betta Bomb

Get some professional quality electric shavers from a groomer. If they want you to pay them for the service and don't sell you a shaver then try online- here's a link I found on dog clippers: http://www.ehow.com/info_8333524_ele...-grooming.html

That takes care of grooming. I'm more concerned about her eyes and nose! That needs to be taken care of at a vet. Maybe she's got an immunity disease, such as FLV. I wouldn't ignore that for a second.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

sheep sheers will NOT work on a cat it will just cut it to pieces

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Betta Bomb

I wouldnt even use scissors. I seen an old friend cut her cat once to bleed trying to get a knot off. The cat twists once and the skin is clipped. I would never risk that! buzz shaves would be safer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

I groom my dog myself as well as a few of my friends dogs so I bought a professional grade clipper.

Do some research and you should be able to get a decent clipper for not too much money. I got Andis clippers from Amazon for like $140, they where recommended to me by a groomer and got good reviews online. You can get all kinds of attachments for them too like guide combs and the blades are pretty easy to replace if you need new ones or want a different length.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

We are lucky with our cat just so behave when grooming and we only use this lint Rollers and Hair Pickup. I head Oster turbo is a good one.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:42 AM
Playful Pup

Me too, we're so lucky to have a cat who behaves when grooming.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I bought an animal shaver, it said it wouldn't clog or jam while shaving, i got the cat and lured her in with love and treats and began... on the forst stroke the clippers jammed up and broke...

So i spend over 5 hours cutting her fur with scissors, he was hissing, yelling, yowling, screaming and attacking me the entire time. I look like a surviver from saw! but he has short fur now and is really happy, i just have to do this again in a month or so *sigh*

And i took the clippers back *grumble*
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

What kind of clippers did you get?

If this is something you're going to have to do often I really really suggest you invest in a pair of high quality professional grade clippers. I know they can be expensive but the difference between them and cheap knock off clippers is amazing!

I should know, I started off using a like $30 pair of clippers that I think we got at Walmart or something. They where horrible! I did some research and talked to a friend who is a groomer and decided that if I was going to be clipping pets even semi-often it would be worth it to have nice clippers. The clippers I got after that where AMAZING compared to my first pair. I couldn't believe how much better they worked.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah, these were £45 so i had expected them to at least work for a little while! Her fur is starting to grow back a little now but at least she has no knots, i can keep her groomed if i bribe her a lot with treats to make it easier, but i will still have to shave her again, i guess i will have to invest in some better clippers. Believe it or not this is her happy face! I just gave her a brush so she is about to get treats

Last edited by Mheyrune; 02-08-2012 at 07:26 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Lol love her happy face. I like her coloring.

If you have a groomer you could call and talk too, they might be able to suggest a good clipper or certain blade to use on cats. Or maybe you could do some research on your own. Or yeah, if you can convince her to let you brush her more often maybe you won't need to clip her fur much?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I have searched about online a little but they keep taking me to clippers i have either already tried or ones very similar to them. I asked in the store last time before i bought them if there would be good for a cat and she said they would... So i think it would be better to speak to a professional animal groomer for some advice, i think i will take a trip inside next time i am in the area!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Playful Pup

Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mheyrune View Post
Yeah, these were £45 so i had expected them to at least work for a little while! Her fur is starting to grow back a little now but at least she has no knots, i can keep her groomed if i bribe her a lot with treats to make it easier, but i will still have to shave her again, i guess i will have to invest in some better clippers. Believe it or not this is her happy face! I just gave her a brush so she is about to get treats

Persian are so **** cool looking.

Tags
advice, cat, fur., shaving