Annoying ! Annoying! Annoying! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Annoying ! Annoying! Annoying!

Ok well my cats are one year old already!
And they are still very distructful.
They scratch walls, rip wallpaper of with their mouths!
But one problem that is getting worse and its not nice at all is that they pee on everything. Both of them, they pee on pillows, bags, blankets, coats, tops, EVERYTHING And we cannot stop them!
Their litter is changed everyday, they have 2 litter trays, and they are spayed like 6 months ago!!
So what the heck are they doing?!
GAH.
Its annoying

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello Earthling

Have you had them checked for a urinary track infection? A lot of times a cat will have a UTI and avoid the littler box because they think that the litter box is hurting them. I would defiantly get them checked for that.

What kind of toys do you have? Cat tree? Scratch post?
Toys and trees/posts are very important . Cats need to clean and exercise their claws and feet. If you don't already have one I would suggest getting one.

You can also buy caps that you put on their claws. You could use these to minimize the damage their doing while you try and correct the problem.

Whenever you catch them in the act correct them. I find that a squirt bottle works well. When you see them doing something they shouldn't do give them a squirt and a firm 'NO'

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

If you give them things to scratch on them reward them when they scratch on those and tell them NO when they scratch on other things then they should learn to scratch on their scratching toys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Hi, thanks
I will get them checked for UTI on their next checkups.
But they have 4 scratching posts, over 10 toys and alot of things to play and hide in!!!
I just dont know what to do now.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Hello Earthling

Well the only thing I can think of right now is just correcting the behavior when you catch it.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 PM

Are they fixed?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

yes they got spayed 6 months ago.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Well we have tried telling them no, and putting them in the hall and locking them out from us, but they sit and meow for over an hr until we let them back in! Its getting hard, we love them so much their our babies, but seriously his house smells of pee now!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would ask your vet and thats everything that I can suggest. I'm stumped!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Find out where their peeing and make sure that spot is thoroughly cleaned. It is VERY hard to get the smell of cat pee out of stuff. I just had to throw away a mattress that got peed on and after it was cleaned the smell came back. Vinegar works to get the smell out. If you can't stand the smell of it (I can't) if you use it in the wash put a few drops of some kind of essential oil.
There is a product called Feliaway that I heard works very well. You could google it and see if it is in your area. It is expensive but I heard that it's worth it.

How old were they before they were spayed? My brother's cat was a year when he was fixed and it probably took that long to get him out of the habit of peeing on stuff. I think he still does it once in awhile but not nearly as bad. Make sure you have a mattress pad on your bed that has a vinyl backing so if they do pee on that it won't soak through and be washed.

I read somewhere that cats will also scratch stuff up to show dominance and territory...hopefully soon that will go away. Even though they are spayed the hormones still last in their systems.

ETA: Feliaway is a product that you use like one of those glade plug ins. It smells like a pheramone that is suppose to make the cats feel comfortable and not give them the need to scent mark.

*Missy*
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have two cats that are brothers, and they have the same problem. The problem gets worse if something in their environment has changed, like rearranging the furniture. They are 4 years old and neutered. I bought Feliaway and it worked well for one cat, Spunky, and helped with the other, Boots. Boots also had another problem, he would lick his fur until he had bald spots. I took Boots to a dermatologist, and it turns out that Boots has obsessive compulsive disorder. Boots is now on Prozac and doesn't pee on things anymore, with the exception of towels, if someone leaves them on the bathroom floor. Spunky will still sometimes pee on things, if I forget to put a refill in the Feliaway. While things are much better now, after taking the carpet out of our house and replacing it with laminate flooring, and using Feliaway and Prozac, but Feliaway and Prozac are expensive.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

I have tried changing the litter three times a day, my vet recommended this to me with a hand full of litter three times a day, and they have not peed on anything in 2 days! so i hope its just because they want a really clean tray!
Wish us good luck lol!!!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thumbs up

YES! Glad there is hope!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Hello Earthling

Great!! Their just picky kitties then

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Great to hear an improvement, my friend got a problem too with her cat peeing everywhere, now she has to pour little of her pee on the new pad.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!