Antibiotic question (Clavamox) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Question Antibiotic question (Clavamox)

For those of you experienced with this nedication or knowledgable,
It hasn't become an issue, but I was just wondering if Clavamox has any side effect that should be watched for? Can it cause diareah or vomitting. If there are any side effects or reactions how long before it usually surfaces?

I thought about this as I cleaned the litter box tonight (everything was fine) & figured it would hurt to ask just in case something does seem off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

There could be some diarrhea and some loss of appetite but this is pretty uncommon. You would probably notice within 24 to 48 hours.

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just make sure she has some food on her tummy when you give it and she should be fine. If you're concerned, you can give some acidophilus 6 hrs opposite the clavamox, which can help keep her intestinal flora more balanced, but it generally isn't necessary.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys!
She doesn't appear to be having any problems & I have been giving it to her when I feed her at night. (and in the morning I give it to her just before I leave for work with).

I'm not concerned at the moment but would rather like to know a head of time just to be on the safe side. She has been on it for 34 hours now & has had 4 doses, so far so good.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 11:16 AM

We go through Clavamox at the shelter by the caseload and to be honest I have only seen it affect very few with diarrhea. Its definitely one of the easier medications for them to take. We always give it with a little bit of wet food on the side (as Jade said). It was recommended to us to give it right after because it helps get the taste of yummy pink bubble gum out of their mouths.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:03 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jade gave great advice We always have given clavamox on a full tummy or at least giving them some soft food prior to given them their dose to ensure they had something in their bellies......I have never had any problems with any of the cats we have now or have fostered that were on clavamox. As Dena mentioned it is one of the easier medications for kitties to take

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed With Turtles

Thanks guys you're the best!

She is now to the point that when she sees me take it out of the fridge she actually comes running for it LOL (I think she likes it lol)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Miss New Booty

Everyone gave great advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstybrat
She is now to the point that when she sees me take it out of the fridge she actually comes running for it LOL (I think she likes it lol)
Awwww! Really Kay??? Mine do the opposite, they would run away! That is really good she is taking her medicine so well!!!! What a sweetheart!

~* Jackie *~

Tags
litter box, wet food