Anxiety/panic Attacks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Anxiety/panic Attacks

I am sorry to be bothering you guys so much about kitty stuff but it's been a long time since I've been around a cat. From what I know about most animals is that they can develop seperation anxiety. To give you guys a better clue let me explain before I ask my question. Well at night for his safety and the people I live with's peace of mind I put him in a kennel with a litterr box toys bed food and water. I had to put him on a table faceing our bed so he can see us. If I don't he'll cry until he needs water or passes out. Without him on a table facing us he'll go ballistic. When we speak or move or anything at night he'll start to cry again for a little bit. If he can see us and we're on the ground level he is on he's ok. But the moment I get on the bed and dangle my feet leaving him on the ground he'll cry. and try to come to me. He'd probably try to jump up but he is too weak at the moment. I know he's too weak to jump because he cannot support himself with a harness on. Anyways if we tie him up in front of the rats cage he's ok. But if he cannot see anything moving and is by himself he throw a fit and get very hysterical. If he can heaar anything but not see it or see it and not be able to be next to it he goes into what I believe is a panic attack. He'll start crying bad and throws himself around ever which way he lands. He'll pace straight forward and then backwards. he goes ballistic. I have tried to ignore it for hours but it gets to a point to where I think he'll hurt himself. I tried to cage him to protect him when I leave and he does everything like before but then start clawing everrything kicks the kitty litter everywhere bites the bars and pushes himself away from the cage and rubs the cage before throwing himself about. Now for my question is there a way to fix this by some sort of physocology or training? I will mention this to my vet when Fiasco goes back in for his checkup. But any help before then will be greatly appreachiated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM
can't think of one, help

Gee, I wish I could give advice, he sounds like he's going through some terrible adjustment. I wonder if they can experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He must've experienced something really awfull before you rescued him. Hope he settles down soon.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I put him in the kennel again last night without it faceing my bed but faceing the rats he cried a little more than before but not too bad. But when I took him out this morning he trashed the kennel and tipped the litterbox completely upside down. I hope he does settle down but I kinda doubt this will ever leave him. *sigh* I'll have to ask the vet what he thinks I should do.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
can't think of one, help

tipping litter boxes, esp if they are small boxes, is not uncommon esp for kittens. Can you get him a bigger kennel, may be he's claustrophobic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I tried confining him to a bigger cage but it didn't help. He's doing a liittle better with the crying I still can't stop him from throwing himself about though.

1 Cat- Luna

Tags
kitty litter, litter box, litter boxes