anyone have cats that eat plastic - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking anyone have cats that eat plastic

hi does anyone have a cat that eats anything plastic and then throws up? i have a 2 year old female and even as a kitten chews anything plastic that she can find and throws up. anyone have suggestions as to why she does that or how to stop it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Hello Earthling

Don't let her eat it. It can cause a blockage which will leave you with hefty vet bills and the possibility of a dead cat.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 10:16 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Don't let her eat it. It can cause a blockage which will leave you with hefty vet bills and the possibility of a dead cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

my question is- does anyone out there have a similar problem? of course we are very careful not to let her eat any- does anyone know why they do it - perhaps similar to eating grass and then throwing up? is this an unusal problem or a common one?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Our cat does, he will eat the handles off of plastic bags, fake grass, easter grass, plastic gift wrap ribbon, and so on.

We try to keep everything away from him but he is amazing at finding it, and we forget some times when we just don't think that he would want to eat it.

My aunts cat will eat rubber bands like its her job, just keeping it away is all you can do.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hi kendalle, good to hear from you. i guess im glad to hear that other cats do eat plastic too. yes sometimes we dont know how she find it either. i was wondering if it was the same as them eating grass to throw up.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think he likes the feel of it when he chews it.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Our previous neighbor's cat eat grass and plastic which usually causes him to throw up or have diarrhea. Try to find ways how the cat would direct his chewing or eating habit into playing his toys...

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Adolescent Pup

Sugar eats rubber bands, twist ties, paper, zip ties and plastic. The only way to stop it and prevent disaster is to be extra vigilant. Before leaving the house or going to sleep you should check every nook and cranny, cleaning up anything you find that the cat may eat.

Sure, there will be times you forget or the cat somehow finds it anyway (the sneaky thieves that they are) but prevention is best. I haven't found a way to stop them permanently from eating weird things so if you find one, share! I'd like to know o.0

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Part of the Pack

Would something like bitter apple spray work? Perhaps spray is on a few choice items to get the association that these items are yucky?

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I doubt it. Nothing works on cats.

[/CENTER]

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Part of the Pack

Arrow

I have two cats and one of them has a plastic fetish, therefore, we have to watch her closely after we have gone grocery shopping.... she loves to bite at and roll around in the grocery bags as we put the food away.

I read this:
It has been speculated that they are tasting the slight odor that emanates from these products.
They may also enjoy the sound of the bag being crumbled or the texture of the items on their tongue.

R h a p s o d y -
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
I have two cats and one of them has a plastic fetish, therefore, we have to watch her closely after we have gone grocery shopping.... she loves to bite at and roll around in the grocery bags as we put the food away.

I read this:
It has been speculated that they are tasting the slight odor that emanates from these products.
They may also enjoy the sound of the bag being crumbled or the texture of the items on their tongue.
I have a cat that loooves to play with plastic. He brings home plastic trash from outside, and he goes NUTS. But, he doesn't swallow it, he just goes inside, bites/scratches and then fun's over.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:00 PM
can't think of one, help

I have cats that are into plastic too, although mostly they just bite it or lick it. Drives me nuts. I have another cat who is into paper that really makes me crazy. Chews the corners off of everything

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:44 AM
It's all for them

Don't let your cats lick plastic bags. Those bags are full of chemicals. Pick them up and out of reach.

I have paper and cardboard chewers, too. It doesn't bother me. I give them crumpled paper balls to shred and cardboard boxes to chew.

One time a cat chewed all the edges of a pile of completed paperwork I had to submit for work. Two weeks worth of paperwork, 14 pages of it.

The idea of redoing all that work (and going out to get the required signatures from the families I provided services to again) was daunting.

I called my supervisor and told her what happened. She said "Are you telling me your cat ate your "homework"?" And she laughed and laughed. Fortunately she's a wonderful lady and since none of the pertinent info, or signatures were chewed off, I got away with it.

Tags
cats