Baby kitten - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Baby kitten

Hi there. I just recently got a new kitten. My dad found 3 kittens outside his house. He left them alone for a day to see if the mom would come back but it rained and they got cold so he brought them inside. I've wanted a kitten for a long time so I told him
I would take care of one. So my whole family has completely fallen in love with her of course. We've named her Lilly. She's running around good, eyes and ears are open all the way so I'm guessing she's about 3 to 4 weeks. I was feeding her formula for the first 3 days but now she's on canned kitty food. This may sound stupid but I've never weaned kittens or anything like that so I was wondering if I should give her just canned food, canned food and milk, or canned food and water. I've tried to give her water but she isnot interested whatsoever. I'm don't know if kittens need water or milk to drink. Any advice? Thanks so much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Hello Earthling

Congrats on the new addition.

If I was weaning a kitten I would offer canned food as well as feeding replacement formula and slowly feeding less and less formula in till the kitten is no longer needing the formula and readily accepts the canned food. I would then start to slowly introduce dry food that has been moistened in a little water.

When I was fostering young kittens I frequently checked for dyhtdration by gently pulling their ruff (lose skin on the back of the neck). If the skin didn't go back to normal right away I was syringed a little water into their mouth. I also put water in their wet food to make sure they were getting enough.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:16 AM

yes congrats on your new additions to the family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Lily sound so sweet, congratulations. What happened to the other two kittens?

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:36 AM

Wow nice name, Lily. What was the name of the other two? Kittens, need both water and milk.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by margalicious View Post
Wow nice name, Lily. What was the name of the other two? Kittens, need both water and milk.

Are you talking cows milk or milk formulated for kittens?

Cow milk should never be given to cats, it can make them sick and in young kittens it can be fatal from causing diarrhea ergo leading to dehydration.