Back to the ER with Sneakers. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Unhappy Back to the ER with Sneakers.

I had to take Sneakers in again at midnight. I was there until after 3:00 am this morning. I am soooo tired. I am like a zombie today. He was straining again late last night around the house and he wasn't producing urine. He had a ultra-sound because they were short on x-ray techs or something, and it showed that he still has crystals and sludge in his bladder. He can urinate, and they were able to get a good stream of urine by barely squeezing his bladder. It probably hurts to go though, which is why he was straining. The urinalysis showed the the crystals are there, but they are breaking up. He still has infection but he is on antibiotics.

They gave me a new food which is supposed to disolve the crystals. They also gave me an anti-inflammatory med. I have him in the bedroom right now with his special food (wet and dry), water, and two litter boxes. He doesn't like being locked in there, but its the only way I can tell if he is eating and going to the bathroom. Hopefully being in the bedroom won't cause him to refuse to eat/go to the bathroom. I have to keep the food in there or the other cats will eat it too.

Please keep Sneakers in your thoughts and prayers. He is extremely hard to treat, because he is always stressed and you never can tell what is going on with him. I pray that he will eat his food so he can get better.

I feel like I have been hit with a ton of bricks. Good thing I'm off today. I just went and voted and now I'll be vegging out for the rest of the day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Poor Sneakers! He'll be in my thoughts! Go and have a good day off, Steph, everything will be fine!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I'm sorry Steph! I'll be keeping Sneakers in my thoughts and prayers

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys.

I forgot to tell you that luckily I had someone to talk to for three hours. I met a nice lady and we knew each other's life stories by the time I left. We exchanged e-mails and I told her to come to PT lol.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh NO Stephanie! I had just replied to the other thread I was so happy he was doing ok! How awful. I sure hope everything is ok this time and that he is eating his new food and going to the bathroom normally. He is in my thoughts and prayers, and you try to get some sleep, girl!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks Jackie. I'm going to run to the store and get some coffee (i've been craving it this morning) and some veggies for the rabbits. Then I'm staying on the couch for at least a few hours lol. I hope I can sleep, I feel like I don't know what day it is or where I am lol.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 12:36 PM
PT's Official Law Breaker

Awww I'm sorry, I hope he gets better soon. You sound like you need some rest too. Take a nap.

Catherine
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Aww Stephanie, I am sorry to hear Sneakers is not doing well. Poor little guy. Of course I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks guys. He is still in the bedroom. He's not eating his food! He keeps trying to kiss up to me so I'll let him out , but I told him that he can't come out until he eats his food. I wish he could understand me! lol

He seems to be feeling good. He keeps purring and rolling around. I pressed on his bladder area and got no reaction. The vet said that the anti-inflammatory drug might make him a little loopy. I think it is! As for me, my tummy is upset from all of this and I'm trying to sleep but the computer keeps calling me lol. I just can't sleep in the morning! Maybe later on it will be easier to take an afternoon nap. TV isn't helping because I keep watching election stuff and I'm anxious about that!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I hope he gets better and stays better this time.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:34 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Okay, a few questions:
What type of food is he on (the brand and forumula)?
Has a urinalysis been done to determine which type of crystals are causing the blockage? What was the pH and specific gravity of the sample? Was the bacteria cultured (only if a cysto sample was taken)?
Have you been giving him a probiotic to take with the antibiotics?
Does Sneakers get any table scraps or food other than the cat food?
Have you tried to increase his water consumption?

I have been pointed to this thread by Denise because I have been battling with my female cat's UTI and stones since she was 6 months old (she's 4 now). It is likely that Sneakers will always have problems but there are ways to help him lead a more normal life and keep him out of the ER. I don't know much about Sneaker's history but I would like to try to help you. It is so hard and frustrating to deal with.

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candycane
Okay, a few questions:
What type of food is he on (the brand and forumula)?
Has a urinalysis been done to determine which type of crystals are causing the blockage? What was the pH and specific gravity of the sample? Was the bacteria cultured (only if a cysto sample was taken)?
Have you been giving him a probiotic to take with the antibiotics?
Does Sneakers get any table scraps or food other than the cat food?
Have you tried to increase his water consumption?

I have been pointed to this thread by Denise because I have been battling with my female cat's UTI and stones since she was 6 months old (she's 4 now). It is likely that Sneakers will always have problems but there are ways to help him lead a more normal life and keep him out of the ER. I don't know much about Sneaker's history but I would like to try to help you. It is so hard and frustrating to deal with.
Hi Candycane, Thanks for trying to help!
Sneakers was on Innova dry catfood by Natura. He went to the ER on Saturday, and they gave me C/D by Hills. Then when he went back last night, they did a urinalyses and it was determined that the crystals can be dissolved with food. He had an ultra-sound, and no large crystals or stones were found. They gave me S/D by Hill's, but I am having a hard time getting him to eat it. I have wet and dry food but he doesn't like it.

I don't know the ph and specific gravity. No, it wasn't cultured because we couldn't afford it at the moment. We have already spent over $700. No he does not get any table scraps or other food besides his cat food. I haven't given him a probiotic. I completly forgot about that and he has only been on the antibiotic for a few days. I'm not sure how to increase water consumption besides giving him the wet food (more moisture) and putting more bowls of water around the house. Ironically, my other two kitties love water and will drink it out of anything. Sneakers doesn't drink much or eat much either. He is a fraidy cat and he is extremely hard to treat. I hope this answers most of the questions! BTW, he is 3 years old.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 05:22 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

Okay. The C/D and S/D are both for struvite crystals. They are far easier to treat than oxalate so you are in luck. They also happen to be the same crystals that my Sydney has/had. Struvite crystals usually form when the pH is too high. Once the pH is lowered, the reaction that causes the struvite crystals to form can no longer take place. However, caution is needed not to take the pH too low as oxalate crystals will form if the pH gets too low. A slightly acidic pH, around 6.5 is considered about normal.

My vet suggests that Syd's pH stay somewhere between 6.0-6.5, no higher. We have started testing her urine with pH strips to alert us of any changes. I bought the pH strips from my vet but you may be able to get them at a drugstore. Basically, just place under the urine stream (after giving the cat a bit of a head-start, you do not want the beginning of the elimination) and then compare to the chart given with the strips.

Now, the food is formulated to bring the pH down (check for methionine to be high on the ingredient list). There is another product, called Methigel, that is a methionine supplement and is a urine acidifier. However, you are not supposed to use the Methigel with the food (the food probably has a warning about using additional urine acidifiers). Wysong makes a product called Biotic pH- that is supposed to lower pH and Solid Gold makes another product called Berry Balance (that we are trying) that does the same thing. I would consider that supplementing with these products would be a last resort if he still won't eat any of the other foods that I'm about to mention.

There are many other prescription foods out there for the dissolution of struvite crystals. Waltham's, Eukanuba, and IVD, are a few. Your vet should have access to all of those brands...and possibly more. I would try one of those foods if he isn't eating. Not eating can cause a host of other problems, including fatty liver, that you do not want to be dealing with right now.

The probiotic needs to be administered at least 3 hours after the antibiotic. Otherwise, the antibiotics will kill the probiotic and defeat the purpose. I give our cats powder acidophilus by Webber Naturals. It doesn't contain dairy and have a high bacteria count.

Once he is eating the wet food, increasing his water consumption should be easier. I add about 1/4 cup to Sy'd wet food at night and she usually drinks it all. Remember, their full bladder is only about the size of an unshelled walnut so every little bit counts. We bought a Drinkwell Pet Fountain for Syd and she drinks considerably more. Here is the link if you are interested. They are more expensive than the Pet Mate one but I feel that most cats prefer this one because it is a real stream of water...much like the faucet.

Finally, about the bladder palpatation, you should be able to feel if he is having troubles again. The bladder should be soft and squishy and fairly small, like I mentioned. If it feels hard or larger than a walnut, you should probably contact the vet, ASAP.

I think I have managed to spill my brains but there are probably some things that I have missed...

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Wink

Steph, I hope Sneakers is ok? Keep me informed of his progress...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I am so sorry he has had a relapse. Candice has some very useful info there. Donovan is on a constant wet diet supplemented with water. I have not had any relaspes since.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Therapist

Thanks so much for the info Candice! I feel much more educated now! Thanks for taking the time to help me out. Thanks to everyone else too for your concern.

Tags
cat food, dry food, litter box, litter boxes, male cat, table scraps, wet food