back from the vets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

back from the vets

Well Sonny was a very good boy I have to say.
He got in his cat basket fine and only miawoed a bit in the car.
I did not like the vet nurse though. We were trying to coax the cat gently out the basket and she came along and just tipped him out, then shoved a thermometer up his bum not once, not twice but three times with 2 different sized thermometers.
By this time Sonnys eyes were watering as well as mine.
Then the vet came checked him over in the most 3 minutes.
The good news is his mouth and teeth are not as bad as 1st thought.
She said he needed a blood test so she left and the thermometer nurse came back.
She shaved his leg and then shoved a needle in him not once, not twice, not 3 times but 4 times before she got it right. And Sonny was not struggling.
We are waiting for the blood results and then he is going to have his teeth cleaned.
Now I have never been to the vet with a large animal so maybe this is normal???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

I wouldn't know if its normal since in all my years I've really only had one vet. She's really sweet large and small animal vet. (I don't know about over there or across the US even but small animal vet includes dogs and cats in my hometown. Large animals being the horses and various livestock.)

However, I had a horrible hoof trimmer once. I won't get into that... lets just say he was a jerk and knew nothing about behaving properly around horses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aaaaawwwww poor Sonny, seems like he's had a bad day especially with the needle 4 times thats quite bad especially as he wasn't even struggling Least he was a good boy through the ordeal and its over with for now

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 PM

I hope the blood sample gives good results!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

yeah me too coz I dont know if I want to take him back there.
It was very bad for Maria holding him and her just stabbing away at him like that.
We are gonna look at another vet for the dogs spaying and neutering.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 06:19 PM

I dont think it's normal for your kitty to be treated that way. When I take Simba to the vet his vet is great...even if Simba isn't. The nurse only puts the thermometer in once and only pricks him for blood once. They also talk to him while they do it so he wouldn't be too mad. Even Sky's nurses aren't that bad. They never do something twice. They always do it right. Maybe it's a new nurse? But then, the least she could say is sorry or something. I hope your kitty feels better soon.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

It just felt to me that she didnt care that he was getting hurt.
All she was worried was that she wouldnt get scratched. But Maria was holding him and in no way did he try to scratch or bite.
It is hard though coz there are not so many other vets here.
You will all faint when I tell you how much it cost as well. I will have to say in pounds sterling and you can figure it out in your own money.

Just taking him to the vets cost £35
The vet to look at him £15
The blood tests £50
And then tax on top about £20-25
So it cost me just over £120 just to have that happen to him.
His teeth cleaning will be an added £70
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Yea, I would figure. I know if they didn't have wellness plans over here simba's vet visits would be alot. With that plan he gets the dental work free.
If you cant find a different vet just take your kitty there until he's all better.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah just waiting for the blood tests back to see if he can have his teeth cleaned.
Then he will be having them cleaned.
We are looking in to another vet for the dogs spaying and neutering.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 05:18 AM

Hope he is ok today?

Regarding vets bills, some really do charge a lot of money.. When my degu Charlie was sick last year and she unfortunatley died after, it cost us nearly £500, for her to have an op, 2 days in the vets and all the medicines etc.. That was an emergency vet, which I hope to never go to again.. Yes they did their job, but was it really necessary to charge that?

Last edited by Purplebunny; 06-02-2005 at 05:21 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

I would highly suggest another vet--maybe even for Charlie's teeth cleaning. You can tell the vet he has now to give you ALL the paperwork concerning his results and take Sonny elsewhere.

I would NOT tolerate someone treathing my babies like that. I mean, c'mon? Taking an animal's temperature is a cinch and she should have gotten it in one try--two if the animal is struggling.

However, if you feel the DOCTOR was good, then when you go back, demand NOT to have that nurse be around your animals or you will take your business elsewhere.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:31 AM

I agree with Rowan. I would refuse to see that nurse. If there isn't another one than I'd either ask the vet to do it or switch clinics. Even with my fidgeting dog it did not take four pokes to get his blood. And the temperature? OH your poor kitty. Once is definitely bad enough. When Kitty had her teeth cleaned it only cost $200.00 and that was with everything, including the blood test, pain meds, anesthesia and all that.

I hope your kitty comes out ok. I guess at this point though it would be tough to switch places seeing as how you already paid for the blood test and for them to do the initial exam.

I hope all goes well with your kitty.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM

Hi,

Glad to hear everything went well at the vets with your cat "Sonny", im sure that the blood tests will come back fine

Tags
emergency vet, poor kitty, vet visit, vet visits