Bad news, vibes needed! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Thumbs down Bad news, vibes needed!

Hi guys, right now I am having a hopeful 5 minutes so I will try and type this in now.

Baby Girl has been throwing up because of the cat grass we got them for Christmas (This is the good news) and she is healthy and fine.

Smitty is not so good. He has something wrong with his liver, his immune system is weakers, and he is just the kind of cat that just never gets better. We have a change of medicine for the week, if he doesn't show improvement, then we might have to put him to sleep. He has never really been 100% since we got him. Please guys send all your vibes, all your prayers you can spare. Alright I cannot say anything else for now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I am a little more coherant now. I am hoping Smitty is going to be okay, I guess all I can do is hope for the best, but yet expectt he worst. Ray seems to take every little movement as a sign as improvement. All I can do is wait and see and give him plenty of love in the mean time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Princess in Waiting

Unhappy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~get well Smitty~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Wanted: New Title

I'm praying Capn'.

post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:21 PM

Smitty has our prayers

~~~~~~~~GET WELL SMITTY VIBES~~~~~~~~
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:30 PM
Fertile Myrtle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~GET WELL VIBES~!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hey Capn,

You might go to GNC and get some Dandelion Root ... it's been shown to have benefits to the liver.

~*~*~*~Get better Smitty vibes~*~*~*~

Stephanie

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 12:11 AM
I Heart My Job

oh no, that's awful. *feel better smitty vibes*

sparkle->
shadow->

To seize the dragon is to face life.

I've been frosted!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 12:12 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Geeze Capn... here's for you and lots of
~*~*~*~*~Get better Smitty vibes~*~*~*~*~

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Okay so today i don't know how I feel. One minute mad, others sad, and then hopeful.

Critter, I need to know, How does one know there is something wrong with the liver? I mean she did NO internal tests, she did blood work after she said if he doesn't get better we might want to put him to sleep. The blood work wasn only to test on feline aids. I mean how can she know it is his liver? I am just wanting hope here, is that impossible? I mean his color is off, in his ears, it looked almost jaundiced, does that mean liver problems? If she does no other tests on his insides and we take him back, and she says he is not better, should we go somewhere else or just give up? Can he live with out his liver?

i just can't think as we snug that he might not be here much longer you know? It hurts so much just to think about that I am just sitting here bawling.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:12 PM
Playful Pup

capnsweets...I used to work at an animal hospital. Was a urine test done?

Male cats have a lot of problems with urinary tract diseases. If it his liver, there is medication, and food that can help him. If she says nothing can be done..be smart and get a second opinion, even a third if needed. There is always something that can help. There are foods that can help the immune system. Has he been eating or drinking at all? Is he able to go to the bathroom? He might be dehydrated too if he has liver problems. See what you can find out from another vet. I don't know how old Smitty is, so Unfortunately, it may have been an existing condition before you got him that wasn't taken care of properly. But if you love him, which i don't doubt, do what you can for him, but if he is in pain, it might end up being better for him to put him down. I know that sucks, but if he is in pain....

I pray that he gets better. Keep us posted of his condition.

Zoo Keeper of the "Crazies"
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Smitty is barely 6 months, he only weighs 4 1/2 pounds. he is still eating and drinking, but I don't think he is eating nearly enough. They did not do a urinary test. He goes to the bathroom, both peeing and pooping, he eats but not as much as normal.

Thanks for the little bit of hope!

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:23 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by capnsweets
I need to know, How does one know there is something wrong with the liver? I mean she did NO internal tests, she did blood work after she said if he doesn't get better we might want to put him to sleep. The blood work wasn only to test on feline aids. I mean how can she know it is his liver? I am just wanting hope here, is that impossible? I mean his color is off, in his ears, it looked almost jaundiced, does that mean liver problems? If she does no other tests on his insides and we take him back, and she says he is not better, should we go somewhere else or just give up? Can he live with out his liver? [/B]
Blood work usually comes up with several values -- of those are the AST and ALT, one of which is indicative of liver values (I can't remember which at the moment.).

At this point I would definitely go for a second opinion, no matter how much you trust this doctor. It's not going to hurt.

Capn, I'm sorry hon. I know how you feel ... if there's anything I can do ...

Stephanie

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Jade, the thing is she said that it was probably his liver and if he didn't get better we'd have to think about putting him to sleep, BEFORE she did the test for feline leukimia/aids, when she came back in and both tests were negative, she never said anyhting about liver read outs, like boy they looked bad or anything. She had already placed it in my head that smitty might leave us, so why would she hold back if it said his liver whatever looked bad? I don't trust her very much, but I am afraid I am just hoping so hard she is wrong, I jsut cannot imagine letting go of him.

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yep, I'd go get another opinion, Capn.

Seriously in the meantime, try the dandelion root at GNC. It brought Elvis's values down and increased his appetite. You may have to mix it in his food but it's a powder capsule so it isn't hard.

Stephanie

Tags
animal hospital, male cat, regular vet