Behavioural changes in my cat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Behavioural changes in my cat

Hi, I'm sure this question has been both posted and answered many times before so I apologise in advance.

My 12 year old male cat has recently started urinating everywhere. This is only a new problem, previously he was well trained and always used his kitty litter or went discreetly in the bathtub if he was accidently locked out of his room.

Its has now become quite an issue in our household as he has taken a liking to doing his business on beds, freshly cleaned clothes and backpacks that have been placed on the ground.

He was desexed as a kitten so it shouldn't have anything to do with that.

Has anyone seen or experienced this before and can offer some advice or solutions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Betta Bomb

Is he neutered?

This sounds to me like a kidney problem. Cats usually run into it as they age. I recommend seeing a vet and hooking him up with a special food to help, maybe meds. I cannot say for sure, bc I don't currently own a cat, but it sounds like something my old roomate dealt with with a couple of her cats. Because it might be medical but it might also be behavioral- say of there was a major change in his routine(new family member, move, stress caused by dogs, cats).

I would have him looked at for sure. Please keep us updated!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Newborn Pup

Often times, urinary incontinence can indicate a type of lower urinary tract disease... which means it could be anything from from Cystitis to bladder stones or even having a rupture in his bladder. Have you checked your cat's urine for any signs of bleeding? Regardless of whether you find blood or not, you should definitely take him in for his vet to have a look right away.

---
Save a life or two and adopt a pet!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Really sounds like a health issue on your cat. Behavior change makes them imbalance and he is doing now is an indication. Hope nothing serious about him..

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!

Tags
cat, urinating