Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Bengal or tabby?

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Kendalle 
#1 ·
I have been wanting a bengal for a while. I found one at my county shelter and she was adopted a few minutes after she was available. Of course she was in good shape, very pretty coat. I figured she'd go fast. I was considering traveling to adopt a bengal but there is one sitting in intake at my city shelter...I think. He is pretty beat up so its hard to tell.

The fact that he is all beat up makes me want him more. I believe he won't be officially available till Tuesday. If he is well enough to not be pts, I will be there to adopt him.

But just looking for opinions. Bengal or tabby?

See less See more
#6 ·
hehe striped tiger same thing :) just means more lovabe hehehe :crylaugh: we have 3 cats ourself, and although there a handful we wouldnt trade them for the world. its like my daughter has 3 siblings lol

#7 ·
Bengal is a breed, tabby is a pattern description, has nothing to do with breed. :)

The correct word for a cat with "tiger" stripes is actually mackerel tabby. Classic tabby has matching markings on front and back legs and the stripes are in swirls (that often look like targets) on their bodies. Mackerel tabbies may or may not have matching markings on their legs, and their stripes are straight across their bodies. Often when the cat is in certain positions the solid stripes separate into spots that give the cat a mackerel look, which is where the term comes from.

Both Classic Tabby and Mackerel Tabby have stripes that form an M on their forehead.

Tabbies come in almost any breed.

Bengals can be challenging, so be sure to read as much as you can on them to know what to expect. Why is he so beat up? Was he abused? If he was just brought in, very little will be known about his nature, and if he's been abused, you may have a tough road ahead of you.

I am not trying to discourage you by any means, one of the most rewarding experiences in the world is winning the trust and love of an animal who has been abused or is unsocialized.

I hope he does get to come home with you and lives a long happy life in the loving forever home you will provide for him.

#8 ·
Bengals can be challenging, so be sure to read as much as you can on them to know what to expect. Why is he so beat up? Was he abused? If he was just brought in, very little will be known about his nature, and if he's been abused, you may have a tough road ahead of you.
I have no idea why hes so beat up. To me, it looks like he was in a cat fight of some sort. We have two bengal breeders in our area that seem to not give a flying you know what.

We are prepared to take on a new terrier...I mean cat :)

It seems like every animal I take from the shelter has some hang up that seems to go unnoticed on shelter grounds. We actually don't expect an easy animal from there. I don't feel discouraged but I know what you mean. Loki was a return which put him straight on the EUTH list. When we adopted him, we understood why he was returned...he was TERRIBLE!

#9 ·
At this moment I wouldn't try to issue a guess without seeing his body and size but he is adorable! I hope he finds a wonderful forever home with you!

#11 ·
Whether he is or isn't we don't mind. We were going to adopt two savannah cats a while ago but didn't make it in time. Then we started looking into them and bengals but don't want to buy. This shelter is secretly no-kill (I only know that because I am a volunteer) in the sense that they will not kill for space. Their adoption rate is high for a place that serves as animal control.

If the shoe doesn't fit there are plenty of others that we can take home :thumbsup:

#13 ·
I work at our shelter and our bangels are hard to place, for one they tend to be very vocal, very hyper, sometimes destructive, and very pretty.

People are like WOW i've never seen a cat with those markings and look its eyes are so green! Then they get home and their pretty cat won't stop talking at the top of his lungs! Thats just how they are. They are not the cats for everyone. If they are the cat for you I would sugguest getting one as they are harder to place in a good home than a normal domestic cat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.