Bengals - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Bengals

I was just curious, and I think I remember somewhere along the way reading something about Bengals here.
My Mom's birthday present this year will be a Bengal male - we breed them where I work, and I love their disposition - and their intelligence and playfulness. Mom's beloved 11 year old cat died unexpectedly last week, and she's heartbroken. The kittens we have right now at work are about 4 weeks old, and the little male is the sweetest thing, he always wants to be held, is very vocal - and has a lighter, more subtle, spotted coat (which I think is prettier than the darker, marbled pattern). My dad loves a rough and tumble cat he can play with, and they'd like to have a pet that can travel occasionally with them (but Mom's not a dog person). So, I think a Bengal would be perfect for them. I'm usually an advocate of adopting shelter animals, but with a Bengal, I know they'd get the look and personality that they love in a cat.
Anyway, I wonder what everyone else thinks ? Anyone have any experience with these cats ? Any stories to share ?
Also, I've looked and looked - but I can't find an article about them suitable for the breed profiles section. Maybe someone knows where to find a good one ??

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:12 PM

Sometimes you can't adopt to find just what you're looking for. I think it's fine if someone needs a certain type of pet and you're not going to find that one in a shelter.

I'd also like to own Bengals one day. I think a Bengal Cat would suit our lifestyle. Chris would really enjoy one and so would I. I'm not sure I'm up to spending that kinda dough, however. But, we'll see. It'd be a long way off, anyway, I imagine.

http://www.tibcs.com is a pretty good Bengal site.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 05:44 PM

We actually had a Bengal cat in the shelter once, my SIL ended up adopting him. He is the most gorgeous cat I have ever seen. I have heard that they have fantastic personalities. Its like getting a dog with the convenience of a cat or something to that affect. I heard they get huge though. One woman swore her cat was 40 pounds. I don't know about that but my SIL's cat is really big (not 40 lbs) and broke the cat door going in and out because of his size. He came in as a feral so his personality could be better, he isn't aggressive or viscious or anything like that, he is just very scared of people. In the shelter he let me pet him in his cage but he never liked to come out, once out he prefered to be left alone. Oh and he is good with other cats, especially the girlies. (Don't worry, he was neutered!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

My mom has a male Bengal and being "vocal" is a huge understatement! That cat meows about 20 out of 24 hours a day. I am not exaggerating one bit! He meows so much that we don't even hear it anymore. When people come over to visit they always comment on how noisy he is.

On the upside he is pretty smart. He's not as big as most Bengals but he is bigger than the average cat and his tail seems exceptionally long. He LOVES to play in water. We have to change the water in his bowl 3 times a day because he loves to play in it. He doesn't get along with our other cat so they have to have separate time in the house. When one is in the house the other is in another room so they both can have attention.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like he'll definitely be a cat my parents will love ! Thanks everyone.
I got a little harness and a leash for him today. Hopefully, I'll have him used to it by the time he goes to my mom (in about 3 weeks) He was so good, sat there so nice while I tried different harnesses on him. He was hilarious once I put him down - he wasn't frantic, but he wasn't too sure about it. It's kinda big on him, so Mom won't have to buy another one right away - but it's so cute. I'll have to take a few pictures tomorrow.
He's so good-natured - and he knows that I'll get him out and hold him - so he's the first one to come running when he sees me. I'm glad he likes to be held and loved on, as he'll get plenty of that from my mom. His one sister is just the opposite, and such a stinker, she's gonna be big trouble for someone ! LOL

Sharon
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Well, after snapping about 854 pictures this afternoon (LOL) I got a few good ones of my mom's "soon to be" kitty.
He isn't the prettiest one of the bunch, and his pattern isn't as vibrant as the other's - but that's okay. His personality more than makes up for it.
He's not too sure about the leash - the harness doesn't bother him in the least, but the leash kinda freaks him out.
Now, everyone pray that my mom doesn't run out and get a cat in the next 3 weeks !!

Sharon
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:07 PM

OMG! He's so cute!! Usually I'm pretty against buying pets for gifts, but you knowing your mom and how much of a cat lover she is, I think she will really appreciate and enjoy this little guy. Especially since you took the time to choose him for his personality rather than his looks, although I couldn't imagine his siblings being any cuter than he
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Miss New Booty

AWWWWWW! Sharon, he is gorgeous!! I love his markings! Your mom is going to be so happy!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:17 PM

He's a cutie!

Rhonda

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2004, 10:33 PM

I forgot to tell you Sharon, my mom's cat knows how to open doors and turn off light switches, it's hilarious! You will be surprised at how smart those cats are. I can't wait to see him all grown up. He's very handsome!

Rhonda

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 PM

He is adorable! I want one!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Newborn Pup

The "riding in the car" thing needs to be introduced early and frequently. We had an Aby who really enjoyed riding in the car. The only time he needed a leash is when we were going out so as soon as the leash was snapped on him he headed to the litterbox to get ready to go out. He looked out the car's side windows (feet on the armrest) and hissed at dogs in adjacent cars or curled up on the rear window package shelf and snoozed or catloafed and watched the world go by. He always enjoyed the experience. When the car was turned off he'd climb into the driver's lap to be carried to the next destination. Confident cats are a lot of fun.

I have two few friends who have had bad experiences with Bengals but the Bengals weren't enough generations removed from wildcats at the time.