biting kitten - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

biting kitten

About 2 months ago I took in a tiny kitten from a feral mom that I left food out for. I took the small grey kitten, since it didn't seem like he was going to make it much longer and that way he might have a chance at a better life. Leaving her with one kitten, to increase that one's chance as well. He was about 4 weeks when I took him in. Not to mention the local fox kits were getting closer and closer to them. I nursed him back to health, and he's doing much better now. The only problem is, he bites all the time! He nips at your ankles and tries to constantly sink his teeth into you. When he's not in these moods he's the sweetest little thing. We've tried spraying him with water, but he knows that he can get away with it if he can't see the bottle around. He's a little over 3 months now. He also has a tendency of wanting to play first thing in the morning. Will he grow out of this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

My cat did this same thing. So far my cat hasnt completly grown of of playing first thing in the morning and its kind of annoying but its not as bad, just lock him out of your room if your still asleep. Kittens will sleep for 2 hours and play for one, something along those lines. Sometimes taking food away at noon and not letting them eat till you go to bed works. Play with them and dont let them sleep. Have you tried clapping that sometimes works also get a water bottle that you drink that has the press down lid fill half of it up with water and stick it in the freezer after its frozen put some water in. The coldness should shock him. And if that doesnt work you might have to tap him on the nose (lightly, just enough to shock them), scruff him and say no in a firm voice.

I hope this helps good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Trickiesmurf; 08-09-2005 at 01:17 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I tried the clapping thing before the spray bottle. I didn't want him to associate being disciplined with water. Instead the kitten associates spray bottles with discipline, also I tried the tapping on his nose, and telling him no, he stops for a minute and then goes back. I'll try the ice water thing. Skeeter, my kitten, (who knew that this name was going to be perfect for him?) mainly uses my boyfriend as a chew toy. I think that part of the discipline problems is that my boyfriend let's him get away with a lot more than I do. I have told him on several occasions to try and discipline him. Now that I'm the only one disciplining, skeeter is tending to side with my boyfriend. Maybe I need to try the ice water thing with both of them lol. They both need to listen more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

my old roommate's boyfriend taught my cat the same thing so when she attacked my foot i was really mad at Jason!!! because she did it at 3 in the morning. Does he have a playmate? my dog and cat play together, he might need someone to rough play a bit, if your willing to get another kitten that might work. That would also get rid of the trying to play with you in the morning.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I was considering getting him a playmate, but because i live with my boyfriend, he doesn't want another cat. So I'm stuck as far as that. I even offered getting him a cat and I pay for the vet bills. Plus he never grew up in a multiple cat household, there was always just the one. He had a cat once upon a time, but it got hit by a car, because his family doesn't really believe in cats and dogs inside. I grew up in a household to where there was always at least 2 cats, 2 dogs, 2 birds, and 2 rabbits. We bred dogs so I was always use to lots of pets. Basically until I'm out of school I'm stuck as far as another kitten. Skeeter is strictly indoors, but I do plan on leash training him when he's one or two months older. Maybe that will help with some of the boundless energy he seems to have.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

how do you leash train a cat??? i just fallow my cat when shes on the leash

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my cat will go out in a harness and leash...she loves it...but the playing thing shes still there lol...I don't mind really...when I walk down the hall and she gets my ankles in an ambush...she then runs and I stalk her lol...yep to much time on my hands lol...I like the playful stage alot lol right now shes attacking the dog from under the bed and he has no clue how to get her back

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Part of the Pack

My cat, Simba is like that...he's 2 going on 3 now and still hasn't grown out of it. I tried the same thing as you but it was too late for him. Basically, you can teach a kitten what you don't want them to do when they are smaller but once they reach 6 months, it's extremely hard. I gave up teaching Simba how to act with people so I got him a playmate which is Sky and he's calmed down so much since then. No more attacking my legs or biting me a few seconds after I start petting him. No more scratching at my door at all times and he's not lonely when I'm not home.
Being a kitten I would keep going with the saying no but also spraying with something, either really cold water or water with a little bit of lemon juice. Just make sure that you do not spray them in the face or the ears especially with the lemon juice.

My babies...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Formerly known as Lvnmycritters

I always have a stuffed toy near by for Shadow. He does that sometimes and if he attacks I put the stuffed toy between his legs and he bites and kicks at it. He is 6 months old now and still likes to glom onto me for wrestling but when he tries to bite I use diversionary tactics. I put my hand over his face just out of biting reach and I let him wrap is little paws around my arm and let him go. He has learned to be less rough but he still gets to wrestle. My children always have a stuffed toy ready to distract him if they're playing and he starts getting rough.

He's a very sweet kitten almost all of the time now. I never did use any kind of water or disciplinary tactics. I did have his front claws removed when he was neutered as a precausion from hurting my children. Gordie had his claws and ripped my son's back open when he attacked him one day. My ex told me that Gordie had to go or he'd kill him. So I figured that Shadow isn't going to have that fate.

He has adjusted wonderfully and doesn't suffer any ill effects. He was 5 months old at the time. He always was a sweetheart but now he's an absolute lover. I think that may be the boy thing in him.

I know a lot of people hear may think it was cruel. I did too until Gordie did that to my kids. He actually attacked them quite often but they never said anything. He is a happy barn cat now.

Shadow started as a barn kitten. I just never want him to end up back outside ever.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Part of the Pack

Simba actually attacked my brother when he was younger. My brother had his whole back, stomach, arms, and legs bloody...I have no idea what happened though since I wasn't with him.
I now trim his nails once a week to keep them un-sharp but hasnt attacked my brother since then because of disciplining him with the squirt bottle. He's attacked me but not my brother but not since he's gotten the companion.

My babies...

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

My cat, Gerona, whom I raised from when she was a week old, had a problem similar to this.

When she would start biting hard, I would lightly tap her on the nose and then hiss at her. After hissing at her, I would ignore her COMPLETELY and move away from her. I find it's a rather effective way of telling them that you don't like them playing rough and you WON'T play with them or even be around them if they are going to act that way.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

wow im going to try this hissing thing. Trinity is now trying to jump up on the kitchen counter which i think is gross!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickiesmurf
wow im going to try this hissing thing. Trinity is now trying to jump up on the kitchen counter which i think is gross!
I've given up the countertop and kitchen table battle. I have come to accept that cats will jump on the counter and kitchen table simply because they can, and I can't be there all the time to stop them. Though, I have noticed that when I quit fussing at them for jumping on the countertops, they seemed to do it less. Maybe the thrill of being kitty rebels/hellions was gone?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

So i tried it and she looked at me like what heck are you doing jumped down walked away with her tail up in the air.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:38 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

we gave up ont he counter and table thing to lol we eat at the bar because Mama took over the diner table for her food lol...we needed to feed her up high away from the dogs and Ken made the mistake of putting it there once and then she would demand it there by not eating till it was put there....so yeah shes spoiled and we no longer eat at the table...man if we hissed at her shes beat us up lol she is the dominate one lol nah we just spoil her, came so close to loosing her that we gave her anything she wanted to make her happy lol...big mistake

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
chew toy, water bowl