Blood in cats eye - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Blood in cats eye

A few weeks ago I thought that Tyler's iris looked more yellowish even reddish than normal. I could not get him in good lighting to really see and then when I did he was fine so I thought it was my imagination.
Last night I thought I saw it again and this morning I was sure that there was a red spot on the bottom part of the iris. I didn't think it was completely critical but thankfully I did call the vet. He couldn't see Ty today so he sent me over the emergency vets. I left work as soon as my vet told me how serious it was.
Tyler has high blood pressure. As a result his retinas are detaching. His left eye will probably not improve but his right should. I realized how bad his eyesight was when he was walking around the examine room. It was obvious that he could see things far away but not close up. He kept walking into the wall but he was looking up at the examine table and the counter top.
He is now on meds for his blood pressure.
I am posting this so everyone knows - if they think their kitties eyes look like they have blood take them immediately to the vets.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

wow...I am glad hes ok, I am so sorry one eye will never improve...thats great info to put out there cause I would have never guessed anything like that...thank you for sharing your story and I hope all goes well from here on out with him

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I thought everyone could benefit from it. I never thought it was so serious.
I am not overly concerned about his eyesight being poor. I called Jay from the office and told him Tyler was walking into the walls. Jay's immediate response was that he never does that at home. He knows the house so well we had no idea that his eyesight was failing. We thought he was going deaf but never questioned his eyes.
I still am unsure if he is deaf or he just has selective hearing. Although when he is sleeping he does not budge at all.
My poor old man. I still cannot get over that he has high blood pressure. He is so laid back. Nothing upsets him. The dogs crash into him and he doesn't even care.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:41 PM
can't think of one, help

Wow, I'm so glad you got him to a vet, and he's on med's now. That is something I would not have thought of. My meecee did get profoundly deaf but was still able to see pretty well. Thanks for the info
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my boyfriends parents had a blind and deaf dog...she was that way for the last few years of her life, and she was happy and got around great...we just never moved any furniture and never left shoes laying around...

I was just discussing this with Ken, he felt the same way as I, without you posting this I would never had thought it could be anything like this...

Its wierd how its the low key calm kitties that seem to have high cholesterol and blood preasure...I hope everything goes well for him and give him many kitty loves from us

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Will It Ever Change?

wow i'm so sorry your kitty isn't well. im glad you did the vet thing and now he has meds. things can only look up from here!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

You're such a good kitty mom! I'm glad you noticed and that he will have improvement in the one eye. Give him lots of hugs!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I am glad that he sat in the sunlight so I could really see his eye well.
You would never know anything was wrong with him by the way he is acting. He is completely normal. His eye is already looking less yellow/red.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww im so glad he's getting better!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
emergency vet