blood in char's pee - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy blood in char's pee

well, i noticed yesterday that charlie was getting in the litterbox in the "pee" position and staying there for like, 8 min without doing anything. it's like he was trying so hard to pee and couldn't. well, today i let him out in the house with us and i caught him peeing in the bathroom. he wasn't spraying but peeing. and it was pink. so i cleaned it and then about 10 min later he tried to go pee in his box and only about a lima-bean sized amount came out and it was dark in color also. and then 10 min after that, he went again in the laundry room and it was pink.

i'm going to call the ER vet to make sure i can bring him to my reg. vet tomorrow (to make sure it can wait).

at his last ck-up (about 3 wks ago), the vet said there was still a little UTI and gave me 2 more wks of meds. so i thought he would be ok.

i'll keep you guys updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I hope charlie has a quick recovery Jane. He sure has been through a lot with these uti's. For you and Charlie.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:38 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Poor little Charlie.

I've got my fingers crossed for him, Jane!

Give him a kiss and a little belly rub from me!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you so much, guys. he has been through a lot - neuter, uti's, ear bacteria. i just hope they can figure out what's wrong with him.

post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

if you can get a urine sample, take it to the vet with you, otherwise they may have to keep him for a little while to get one. Make sure they know he's had UTI's in the past, and be prepared for giving meds again.
Good Luck

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

i'll prob let them get the sample. they've gotten it twice now. they all know him there, too. but i always tell them his history when i go in.

and we've finally come to an agreement about the meds. i basically sit him down, hold his head up and shove the pill down his throat. it works!! i tried all the nice ways, but they never took.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
and we've finally come to an agreement about the meds. i basically sit him down, hold his head up and shove the pill down his throat. it works!! i tried all the nice ways, but they never took.
It's the K.I.S.S. method, eh?

It's what I use on the girls! They are much too clever to mindlessly eat a pill wrapped in some kind of goodie.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I don't know which is worse...pilling cats, or giving the liquid meds With pills it usually takes me 3-4-8 tries and consists of hunting around for the flung pill. With the liquids...I usually end up covered in foamy liquid medicine...either way, if you ask me, cats weren't designed for taking ANY meds

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm sure you know this, but watch him carefully and make absolutely certain he's producing more than a couple drops of urine at all times. If he isn't, he needs to be seen immediately.

I hope he gets better soon, Jane! Keep us updated.

Stephanie

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

That sucks he is sick again. I hope he gets better soon!

post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM

Mandie!

Ironically enough, I've NEVER had trouble giving medications to cats. Now Sami on the other hand ... well, if the cats had their way, they'd ALWAYS pick him to give them their meds because he never does it right and Gerona ALWAYS tricks him into thinking she swalled her pill when she didn't.

She's quite sneaky. She'll even make the gulping motions and sounds and lick her lips, and when you let her go, out comes the pill! So, I always have to open her mouth afterwards to make SURE she swallowed it. Darn kitty!

Liquid meds to cats are darn messy, but I usually manage to do pretty well with getting most of it down them. OCCASSIONALY, though, there's more medicine on me than in the cat.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

LOL about the meds, guys.

jade - he is peeing a little bit at a time. probably like 1-1.5 spoons at a time. i will call the ER vet in a little bit to be sure. i wasn't able to do anything earlier today. i'll keep you updated.

thanks for all the well wishes!

post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

ok...i called the ER vet and they said that if he is still eating that he is probably not blocked, but that i should not wait until monday. my vet is open from 9-1 today (sat), so i will take him then. if for any reason i can't get him in, i will take him to the ER vet.

thank you for the support guys. at least he is still eating and drinking.

post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 05:05 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

keep us updated Jane!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 08:51 PM
New Title? MEMBER.

How did it go at the vet today? I would STONGLY suggest an ultrasound to rule out bladder stones or polyps. Sydney had similar symptoms and we always thought that it was UTI's. It wasn't until the antibiotics stopped working that we knew something else was wrong. We had an X-ray done but nothing showed up. Apparently, ultrasounds are much more effective. On the ultrasound, your vet will be able to see whether there are stones or polyps. Good luck!

Candice

A friendly forum for pets and their owners!

Tags
cat food, chicken soup, dry food, water bowl, wet food