Bobby tangles with a skunk - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Bobby tangles with a skunk

What a stinky situation. Apparently Bobby thought the skunk was another
cat, so he was protecting his area. Bobby found out differently when he was
sprayed in the face. Then bobby tried to make his way into the house. I stopped that right away. He had to sleep on the porch. People kept telling us to wash him into tomatoes. I took out a tub, and with the help of my hubby,
we got him into the tub. We spent an hour trying hard to get rid of the stench. We made sure not to get any stink on us. After that was over, we rinsed him off, and he still smelled.

Next I decided to try vinegar. We put Bobby back into the tub, and poured
a few bottles over him. At this point he was smelling like a salad. Poor Bobby.
Actually it got rid of the skunk smell. I rinsed him off, and hubby dried him.
Of course though out his ordeal, Bobby didn't get mad once, he did seem
a bit embarrassed. For a month, we could smell stinky sunk when he got wet from the rain.....

next story, what happens when bobby catches a blue jay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Curmudgeon

Maybe this is a good time to rethink allowing your cat outside.

Besides the fact that skunks spray, they can carry Rabies. Additionally, they are pretty impressive fighters when in the mood. Why risk your cats (and your)life?

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

skunk smell is horrible! we have a skunk in our garden at night, and I guess we must have things that scare it every few nights because it sprays in or close to our garden and it stinks in the house all the time!!! Skunk smell stays in fabric... it's horrible!
Tomato juice like you saw doesn't work! baking soda and white vinegar is pretty good for hard surfaces.
Apparently, hydrogen peroide mixed with baking soda and a little dish soap works wonders!
otherwise they sell a product that's supposed to be very good at pet shops.

My dog got sprayed in the face once, we had just moved to the US from europe where we had none closeby, and had no idea what to do! someone told us to use tomato juice... totally did not work at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:22 AM
can't think of one, help

poor kitty. I have a skunk who occasionally sprays either at or next to my house, its awful.

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala View Post
Maybe this is a good time to rethink allowing your cat outside.

Besides the fact that skunks spray, they can carry Rabies. Additionally, they are pretty impressive fighters when in the mood. Why risk your cats (and your)life?

Bob
Rather "risk the life of the cat, and be sure it had a good life, than make it stay indoors the rest of it's life, when it's an outdoor cat...
That's just cruel.

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Rather "risk the life of the cat, and be sure it had a good life, than make it stay indoors the rest of it's life, when it's an outdoor cat...
That's just cruel.
I know a bit about cruelty, ...and keeping an "outdoor" cat, inside hardly qualifies.

No weather, cars, kids with gasoline or firecrackers, no fights with other animals, no dogs, no poison, ...Nope, doesn't sound cruel to me. But then, I love my animals and want them healthy and long lived. I do not anthroporphize them and wish that somehow I was free and then try to live my freedom fancy through them.

There is a transition period where any animal (or person) has to adjust to a change in lifestyle, but that's life. I wouldn't let an 11 year old human run free, and most of them are cognitively higher than most cats. ...at least in my experience.

If you don't want to do it, fine. It's your animal, you'll do as you like. However don't say keeping them inside is a cruelty. That's just a lie you tell yourself to justify it.

Bob

(...and don't even get me started on the damage feral/outdoor cats do to the ecosystem! That's a whole other topic.)

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Hmm... let me se...
My old cat got to the age of 25, and the one we have now is 14...
Nope, no bad lives - but I must really hate my animals to let them have such bad lives!

And to keep a cat indoors that's been catching rats all it's life - yes, that just plain cruel.
The cat runs around and get depressed just by being in side for a couple of days, if he has to go to the vet.

I do not think indoor cats in general is being cruel to your cat. But forcing an outdoor cat to be an indoor cat is cruel...

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo

Last edited by Chinchi; 09-18-2009 at 11:42 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Adolescent Pup

My cat is 18 now and he used to be an indoor outdoor cat. He would go outside, then come inside to eat and usually sleep. He loved being outside, but we eventually had to start keeping him inside because he was bothering the neighbours by peeing in their sandbox and fighting with other animals. Now he has diabetes and a hyperactive thyroid, and there's no way I can let him outside with his illnesses. Some people just have to keep their cats inside whether they want to or not.

Thank goodness he never tangled with a skunk! I know there were some around where we live. I can't help thinking of that Looney Tunes cartoon with PePe le Pew because my cat is black and white!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 12:23 PM
can't think of one, help

Okay guys, somehow this thread turned into a debate about indoor/outdoor. I don't think that was the poster's original intention. Stick to the thread topic, please

Vicki

Rainbow, Abbles, Carmy, Kissy, Peaches, Cream, (kitties) and Littlebunny boy (elder bunny)

the pic is the last one of my meecee kitty (5/9/89 - 1/9/08)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

wow, sorry if my post caused such a heated debate. I think I will refrain from posting any more stories. I don't care to be attacked just cause I have an outdoor cat.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Feminine douche. That's what works to get rid of the stench here. Wash your cat in it,
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:04 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie66 View Post
wow, sorry if my post caused such a heated debate. I think I will refrain from posting any more stories. I don't care to be attacked just cause I have an outdoor cat.
I don't think anyone meant to "attack" you because your cat is outdoors.

Anyway, I hope you got the smell off your kitty! That has to be nasty! My parents told me when they were young their dogs were constantly being sprayed by skunks. They had nothing to get rid of the smell, so they actually had to get used to living with it! (>_<)

Last edited by Hikari; 09-29-2009 at 08:24 AM.