Breaking cat habits - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Question Breaking cat habits

I held off on going to the shelter cause I found out we're taking over the in-law's house. We went over there and found the place empty...except for two of three cats. I asked the boyfriend what was going on and he said "oh they're our problem now."

I'm not sure of the age of any cats. Pistol is pretty old I hear and is going blind. She was the cat I couldn't find and LOVES going outside. The problem is that sometimes she won't come back...and has even gotten stuck in trees and bushes.

Jazzy is the sweetest thing. I'm severely worried about her weight though. I was trying to look at something and had to pick her up. Yeah shes heavier than my heaviest dog. In fact, she doesn't run...she waddles quickly.

And then we have Sonny. No problem here.

So I was thinking about putting cat fencing up to keep pistol in the yard (mind you she is used to darting out the door and doesn't like being picked up/touched.) I'm not sure what to do about Jazzy though. Most animals I was looking at the shelter were at weight if not chubby. Shes just...morbidly obese and cries for food constantly.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Betta Bomb

So the cats are now yours??
First thing, diet Jazzy!! You can do this by providing a high quality wet food and for her dry food get a toy like the SlimCat ball so she has to walk around to get her food as it falls out of the ball. Get her active in any way you can: lasers, cat dancers, crinkly fishing rod toys. In time she will shed weight.
You can construct an outdoor pen for Pistol. Or harness train her. If she likes to go outside she will have to learn to have restricted access from now on. If she doesn't like to be touched you can get her some rescue remedy to calm her down (not close to drugging her) so you can hold her and pet her and let her learn it's okay.
Finally, have them looked at by a vet to ensure they're all healthy and to help you with a progression report on their lifestyle changes
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
So the cats are now yours??
I'm not sure but I made it very clear that I DON'T want to deal with animals that aren't mine. If they are still here tonight, yes I am keeping them. They said that Pistol is too blind to understand her new environment, Jazzy freaks out in new places, and Sonny is too comfy. In my opinion, this is stuff you figure out how to deal with...not just abandon your babies.

They don't have any cat toys so I will pick some up Tuesday to see if they enjoy them.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Did you talked to your in-laws about them? Hope you decide to whom they will go and would give what they need like training and diet.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Did you talked to your in-laws about them? Hope you decide to whom they will go and would give what they need like training and diet.
No I haven't but the cats are STILL there lol. I found Pistol. She was perched on a cat tree that they had hidden in a room. It was covered in stuff and I guess she found it and decided to make it home. She is overweight but has a small build and the thing hardly holds her so she will be getting a new one.

ALL of the cats need a bath. I contacted a vet about jazzy and she said that I should try to bathe her due to her poor coat and her not being able to clean herself. I told them about Sonny's coat too and they suggested it for him as well. Pistol looks like she stepped in something oily and smells...bad like she got into a fight with a skunk. No doubt in my mind I have my work cut out for me seeing as Pistol runs...from EVERYONE.

Someone has been cleaning the box though. I have to change litter because I cannot use Clay. I found a brand spankin new bag of clay litter and a bunch of bags of dog food. Seriously...if they don't come get it, I'm gonna take it to the shelter.

I had my mind set on saving a shelter cat's life seeing as kitten season is about to come around again. I just have to get these guys all fixed up first. Pretty sad. I know Pistol and Jazzy came from SPCA and look where they ended up

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

So I was told I would have to put Pistol to sleep. I guess they expected her to be going any day now. I just found out that she will be 16 years old this year! She doesn't seem to be slowing to me but I will be keeping an eye on her. Hopefully the switch to good food will keep her around longer.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Betta Bomb

oh, I'm sorry to hear about Pistol!! Hopefully you can keep her around for a little longer to let her enjoy a real retirment .
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww poor kitties

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

So I came home today (we're moved in mostly) and couldn't find pistol again. I noticed that Jasmine's fur is gone on her back like she had a reaction to a spot on. She also has poo on her butt from not being able to clean. Gross!

I brushed her and Fat Cat (sonny) today and was given lots of purrs, head buts, and meows. Very awesome! Pics tomorrow for sure!

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Betta Bomb

I seen a video from a shelter and they made the cat chase all his food pieces. They flicked his meal, piece by piece across the floor and he had to go eat them. Oliver does that with dry treats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgout4Pats (I think the audio is about the benefits of SlimCat.. Though I didn't hear it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLbM5jUiH4

Best of luck!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
I seen a video from a shelter and they made the cat chase all his food pieces. They flicked his meal, piece by piece across the floor and he had to go eat them. Oliver does that with dry treats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sgout4Pats (I think the audio is about the benefits of SlimCat.. Though I didn't hear it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uLbM5jUiH4

Best of luck!
Interesting thanks. I don't think it will work with this food. I'm in the process of switching over from Meow Mix, to Wysong, then to raw. Right now they just kind of eat it lol. I don't think they want to but do it anyway.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Betta Bomb

They'll get used to it before they starve!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

lmao I sure hope so!

Anyway I saw Pistol last night but she was being Pistol and didn't come in. She just stood in the doorway and meowed and took off. I seriously think I have to trap her

In the meantime,

Fat cat sits upon his throne

Jazzy and her foot fetish

Life is but a dream

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

WE GOT PISTOL!!! She is being a typical fearful cat and I don't blame her. My father in law came to pick up some stuff and spotted her. He pulled the whole "come here and get lovies" thing and then snatched her up and threw her in the house. If ANYONE knows ANYTHING about fearful visually impaired cats, I need your help RIGHT now.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Nevermind. My father in law called and said hes taking them because they are moping around. DUH you abandoned them!!! Maybe now but I think they enjoyed their daily brushing, clean litter box, and all that. Sorry I'm quite upset about having my new kids taken away!

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna