Burrowing thing (urgent) - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:28 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Just so you know--

Finland has a fly called the "moose fly" (NOT to be confused with the moose fly in America which only bites at moose) and Sweden has them, too. I've also seen some books call them "deer ked." In Finnish, they are hirvikärpänen (Lipoptena cervi).

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/fa.../deer_keds.htm

There's some information on them. The site says they won't reproduce on anything but deer, but every Finn I have ever spoken to says this is rubbish--they WILL try and burrow into you if they get a chance (people, dogs, cats--they aren't that picky if moose/deer aren't around).

So, you might have moose flies/deer keds on your hand. It's worth a trip to the vet, though, just to make sure.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pihlaja; 04-11-2005 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:28 PM

Well, if he's fine now I guess you can just leave him be. Does the other cat have anymore since you put the frontline on it?

Last edited by mm_simb; 04-11-2005 at 12:29 PM. Reason: misspelling
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

He is not my cat but I told my neighbour to put some on him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
Just so you know--

Finland has a fly called the "moose fly" (NOT to be confused with the moose fly in America which only bites at moose) and Sweden has them, too. I've also seen some books call them "deer ked." In Finnish, they are hirvikärpänen (Lipoptena cervi).

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/fa.../deer_keds.htm

There's some information on them. The site says they won't reproduce on anything but deer, but every Finn I have ever spoken to says this is rubbish--they WILL try and burrow into you if they get a chance (people, dogs, cats--they aren't that picky if moose/deer aren't around).

So, you might have moose flies/deer keds on your hand. It's worth a trip to the vet, though, just to make sure.

No it is not that.
I think it was definatly a tic but I have always lived in a town before so have never come across them before.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Some of them look like big ticks if you don't know what you're looking at since they shed their wings once they start burrowing down.

I don't know about Sweden's tick population, but I have seen ONE tick the whole time I've been in Finland. That's it. Could be different where you are, though. I hear there at lots of ticks in Lapland, so, it could be a tick as well. They like woody areas.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Well i am gonna keep an eye out for any more and i soon as i find one again will take culprit str8 to vet

Tags
lyme disease, vet visit, wild animal, wild animals