Burrowing thing (urgent) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Burrowing thing (urgent)

I was stroking my neighbours cat yesterday when I felt something small on its upper neck, when I looked to see what it was it was a small burrowing thing that had removed a lot of hair around the area it was in. We pulled it out and there is a scab now.
I checked him all over and found another one on his chin but we could not pull this one out.
Any ideas what they are, how he got them, how to get rid of them and how to prevent them please

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Part of the Pack

Is it alive (whatever is on the cat I mean)?
My cat had something on the side of his neck that a vet pulled out of him. It wasn't alive. It was just this little ball looking thing and he got a scab afterwards but it would come back. The hair was practically gone on that spot. When I took him again to the vet they just gave him something for allergies and they put Advantage on him in case he had a flea.

My babies...

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like a wolf. I think that's what they are called. They are fly larva that burrow up in the skin of animals and can cause some pretty nasty abcesses if left untreated. I'm sure you know what a tick is, so I'm guessing that's not what it was. Tell them to please take the kitty to the vet.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I just though of something, yall may not have the flies that cause this where you are. But still, kitty should go to the vet.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How would you describe the burrowing creature? Was it hard and round? Or soft and long? What kind of area do you live in? Do you live in an area where theres any cows, sheep, horses etc...... or any livestock? As my first thought was its a tick as they burrow into an animals fur and are normally found around the neck and chin area and they burrow into the fur and suck on the animals blood. They are normally found around livestock but can be found anywhere as animals do travel so anything is possible. They tend to be hard and rounded getting bigger with the more blood they take on. I wouldn't just pull them out if it is a tick as there is a knack to it as you need to get the mouth out as well as the body which means you have to use tweezers and twist it which can be tricky. The best way to get rid of a tick is to kill it first by squirting it directly with perfume (a tip my vet gave me) to kill or make it really sleepy and once they are dead or unconcious they come away with a pair of tweezers really easily mouth and all. It sounds like a tick to me as but if your at all worried as ever seek a vets attention and please keep us posted

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Playful Pup

I also thought maybe a tick, but burrowing action described sounds more like a grub of some sort ? Like a fly larva, cat should be seen by vet to be sure. Ticks are a pain, best removed with tweezers, finding one usually leads to finding more... they're very hard, they enlarge and darken in colour as they take on more blood, they don't really burrow in too deep, they just need to get their suckers in and cling on for dear life ! Which is why it's so difficult to get them off. Nasty parasites. Foxes usually have ticks, many wild animals, cattle too... any farms nearby ?

~ Helen

...missing
GanMan

Click
2 Feed Animals In Need 4 Free

Last edited by Creativz; 04-09-2005 at 11:57 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

I agree with everyone else. I think a vet visit is in order. JMO though!

Karen

[

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think it was a tick.
It was round and orange but after a while it got red and further in.
We pulled it out with tweezers and checked him all over and he has no more.
Then Indy went and got one on his nose so we pulled that one out too.
I took him on my paper round and he stopped for a toilet break and was sniffing in loads of grass near a farm so I think he had only just picked it up.
I have treated all my animals with flea stuff.
Will this help keep the tics away or do I have to buy something else?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

An after thought...
Can those tics go on humans too?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Sounds like a tick to me too...yes people can get them as well...they attach to the skin and drink you blood (sounds like a vampiric insect) well basically, that's what it is. If left untreated and you don't get the entire tick out including it's head, and an infestation occurs (hundreds of ticks on the animal) it can cause severe anemia and can ultimately kill the animal. I'd check with the vet to see if it's really a tick and get the cat on flea and tick control. You don't need to live on or be near a farm to pick them up either. You can get ticks in any grass...including your own backyard. Ticks also carry diseases such as Lyme Disease which is no fun for anyone, animal or human.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Can you get that from the vet then?
I put Frontline on them all does that get rid of tics?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Part of the Pack

Yes, frontline is suppose to kill ticks and fleas but I'd still tell them to please take the cat to a vet to have them check her out.

My babies...

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

What about my dog he had one on his nose.
I took it all out should i take him vet?

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM
Part of the Pack

Did you throw the tick away? Maybe just taking the tick so the vet can see it because some ticks are more dangerous than others.

My babies...

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes it was disgusting I had to get rid of it.
I have been going around itching like mad.
I know he has no more as we have done an all over body search on all the animals so there would be nothing to show the vet except the hairless bit on his nose where it was.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

Tags
lyme disease, vet visit, wild animal, wild animals