calico vs. brindle - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Lee0923

calico vs. brindle

A few days ago, my daughter and I found someone's lost cat. I'm running ads in the local paper, town Penny Savers, Petfinder, and hanging signs up at the local vet offices.

I went to a vet's office today, and they wanted to record information in a notebook that they keep. When they asked what the cat looked like, I told them that she is a brindle color. The girl told me that cat's can't be brindle, only dogs can, so she must be calico.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of her, but I always thought that calicos were the traditional white, tan and black. This cat is all black with strands of orange and tan mixed in; not the typical "patchwork" of a calico.

Can anyone tell me if she is considered to be a calico, or what she may be? It's kind of hard to describe her when I don't know what she is.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:36 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I doubt she's calico, she's more likely tabby patterned.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Lee0923

Even though she doesn't have any white on her? I always thought tabby's were like a tiger pattern with a white chest/paws.

So much to learn!! I wish I had a digital camera!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think tabby refers to the striped pattern regardless ... there are many different colors. (at least that's my understanding)

Stephanie

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:49 PM
Lee0923

She doesn't have any stripes though, the other colors are mixed in, like a brindle color, but I guess cats can't be that! lol!

Thanks for your help!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Chim-Chim GizzardFanny!

My cat was a tabby and she had no stripes. She had spots of what i'd too call brindle. mixed brown and tan/orange spots on a white background

Alicyn

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Lee0923

Interesting...thank you!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 09:05 PM

Probably a toirtise shell. They are usually dark patterned with no white.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

I believe in cats, what you're describing is referred to as "tortoiseshell". My mother called it "Hodge-podge".

Sharon
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 09:06 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

GMTA, Dena !

Sharon
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I was going to say the same thing, toirtose shell is the word for brindle colored kitties (calico colors but all mixed up, no big patches).

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yup, it sounds like a tortie.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Lee0923

Tortie it is, then! Good news...I think I may know who the owner is! There is a lady that lives on the other side of the park and my daughter found out today that she's been in the hospital for about a week, and her son told my daughter that he let one of her cats out because he didn't like it (he's mentally challenged). His mom is suppose to be home tomorrow and we'll find out for sure. I'm hoping...it all adds up!

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 09:22 PM
Princess in Waiting

There are also muted calicos and torties. Their colors are not quite as bright and they are usually very pretty cats.

I always read that a "tabby" always has an "M" going from the outside of one eye, down at the nose, and ending at the far side of the other eye. (Does that make any sense at all?)

Hope that the person you've found is the cat's owner. If she has been hospitalized it won't be too good for her to come home and find her cat missing.

CRITTERCALL

"If they care, it doesn't matter; if it matters, they don't care."
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

I was going to say tortie but everyone beat me to it!

Tags
humane society, poor kitty