Callie has hyperthyroidism - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Unhappy Callie has hyperthyroidism

I was hoping it was just stress of a multicat household that she had dropped weight. I feel bad waiting so long to get the test done but the results are back and positive. Everything else seems fine from the test, so that's good.

I asked for a low dosage of the meds, since one she's underweight and a low dose seems proper to start with. Plus, I'm hoping a lower dose she won't show any side effects.The vet has a little something to reduce her anxiety on the flight. She said it won't make her really groggy or sleep, just keep her relatively calm.

Wait til everyone sees how crazy I am talking to my cat over the course of the flight. I always talk to her in the car after all. I just hope a 3 hour flight is abit less stressful than more than a days worth of driving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Miss New Booty

Awww Keri, I'm sorry to hear she has that. I'm glad all the other test results came back normal, that's good! I hope she does great with the medications. Did you end up finding vet here yet, or did you call the number I gave you? I really hope you go there because they are the best, he he, can you tell I love my vet's office! lol! I'm sure she will be fine on the plane, but I know how worried you must be! Hey, if anyone looks at you weird, then they must not love animals as much as we do, hon! I hope you both have a safe flight!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Thanks... I'm going to call when I come down and we get settled in the apartment. I picked up about a months worth of meds for her. I'm a little upset... just cause I don't want my baby to be sick but I can't change it.

I'm not worried about the looks. I think it'll be funny. lets see if Callie will talk back like she usually does.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Miss New Booty

Yah, I know what you mean.. What medicine did the vet give her? Aww Callie talks back, too? LOL! My cats all do that! I can't believe you are going to be in Orlando in a day! Oh definately, let me know if you give the vets a call when you get settled. I really love my vet, and she is really good with all the crew, and Snuggles (my cat) has epileptic seizures, running all the right tests, etc. Did you and Jorge find an apt yet, or you are looking when you get here? I bet you are so excited!

~* Jackie *~

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

I"m sooo excited and stressed too... lol not really seoiusly stressed I think but just really anxious! We've got an apt. in the area he's been living in for the last 3 years. Its close to his work, close to the University where I'll be working so, yah.

I can't remember what its called but we're starting her at half a pill once a day for at least two weeks. If she's doing welll I can increase it to half a pill twice a day. the vet even cut the pills for me.

I think I'll definately call that office cause... well now that Callie actually has some condition I'm gonna be all paranoid and picky about who I go to.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sorry to hear about Callie. But at least she has a GREAT cat-mama who will take extra-special care of her! She's in good hands.

I got my fingers crossed for you that you find a great vet in Florida as well.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 01:19 AM

The only thing is if shes Hyper thyroid it means her thyroid is working overtime causing her to loose weight. They will put her on Tapazole most likley, this comes in pills and in liquid. The dosage is based on the level of thyroid shes at. That is determined by a simple T4. You will most likly be put on Maximum Cal by eukanuba to help add calories to her food, or Science Diet A/D which is the same thing only most vets prefer the A/D. You will most likly be giving meds and the changed diet along with some Nutra Cal to help build her beef back up healthly..
Best Wishes.

-Tabitha
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

its so hard when your kitty isn't perfectly healthy but with a mom like you she will be fine

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

Thanks all for the support. I fret and worry more than anything. Jorge was so kind as to run to an emergency vet last night because Callie was very lethargic and walking funny. She didn't want to walk much at all really...

The wierd walking was the symptom Meeko showed with his heart condition. Within a few hours my parents had him put down so I was thoroughly worried... 'cept that Callie wasn't crying like he did and she was very alert, just didn't want to move. Turns out being cooped up on the flight probably aggrevated some arthritis issues severely... gave her a shot to help her and she's doing better.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:07 AM
Miss New Booty

Oh no girl! You already had to go to the ER vet here! I would've been scared, too. I'm so glad to hear Callie is ok though!

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Change Oil

It could have waited actually... we could have seen a vet at the Petsmart, which is where we checked first but it was after 7. I think that's when the vet left, Jorge said... anyway, I would have probably waited if I weren't so paranoid after the loss of my families other two cats.

She's perfectly fine now. Jumping on the bed and other things without assistance. She isn't walking wierd any more either. Plus, she seems super happy to have a whole apartment to herself instead of just one bedroom.

, [username] .

Contacts are my profile.

Tags
emergency vet