Can cats have epilepsy? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Can cats have epilepsy?

Hi,

I have a 6 year old cat..just a moggy...and over the last few months she has had these strange fits.
You can lie her across your lap on her back and rub her tummy but not long enough for her to go to sleep...i would guess within a minute she has started to twitch and she is floppy and lifeless apart from this twitching which goes thru her whole body
You can bring her back eventually but it seems to take her a while to come round fully.
Her eyes go into the tiniest slits and her inner eyelid goes halfway accross her eye...but her eyes twitch too.
Has anyone else seen anything like this and if so should I be worried about her?

Hayley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 10:08 PM

yes they can have epilepsy. Go see your vet, I am sure he or she can better diagnose her and I believe they can medicate for it. At least I know for sure they do with dogs.

Here's a link I found to maybe help you out.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/lowek..._epilepsy.html
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Miss New Booty

Hi Hay1ie. Yes, like Lvn said, cats can have epilepsy. Is it like a seizure?? My cat, Snuggles, suffers from seizures, and he has had nurmerous blood tests done, and they came back all normal. My vet has classified it as Feline Epilepsy and as of now he doesn't take medication on a daily basis, my vet hopes he won't need to. He started having them 2 years ago, when he was 2 years old. I started a thread on it if you want to check it out..

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15608

But, what you are describing doesn't sound like what I have seen with my Snuggles. Hmm I would talk to your vet about this and they will probably run blood tests, too. How scary this must be for you! Not knowing what is going on. I hope you find out what is going on with your kitty!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 04:58 PM

Hi Hayley! Hi Jackie!

Jackie - I joined this site because I read the thread you had previously about feline seizures. I adopted a beautiful white kitten about six weeks ago. I named him Loki after the Norse god of mischief. Last Saturday, 11-13 at around 7:30 pm, Loki had a seizure. This was the first one we had seen him have. I'm sure you can imagine how badly it frightened me.

I was sitting on the love seat and Loki was on the back of it to my right. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him moving oddly. I looked over and he was drooling and breathing heavily in a strange way. He immediately had my attention and I reached for him to pull into my lap to see if he was all right. Then Loki's seizure went full blown. He practically flew from the back of the love seat onto the cushion next to me. I picked him up, thinking he just fell or jumped. I realized then that he was seizing and urinating all over me and the love seat. I dropped to the floor and set him down, trying to hold him loosely to keep him from flipping into the coffee table or hurting himself on the floor. It was very violent. When the seizure stopped, he let loose with a meow that ripped through my heart.

This all took less than a minute, but it felt like forever. I had my fiancť call the emergency line for the vet. The vet asked if Loki ever went outside. When I said no, she said to monitor him. If he didnít have any more seizures over the weekend, make an appointment for Monday to have him checked out.

Loki had another seizure the next morning, around 10:30. I called the vet again for an emergency appointment, because it was the second one in 24 hours. They ran blood tests. Lokiís white blood cell count was high, but everything else was normal. The vet said that he has an infection of some kind, but did not know where the infection is. She said that the seizures could be one of three things. They could be from the infection, a liver shunt problem (that usually shows up at five months, but he appears too healthy for that option), or epilepsy.

The vet told me to give him the antibiotics and note the time and length of the seizures he has while on the medicine. I am also to note if he has eaten right before the seizure, to give an idea about the liver producing enzymes. (I honestly donít understand the liver thing.)

Well he had another seizure this past Sunday at 10:20 am. Almost a week to the minute of his last one last week. Then, he had another at 3:30 Monday morning.

He still has some medicine left to take. If he has any seizures after the medicine is finished, we have to do more testing.

I donít know how I can deal with this on a regular basis. How do you do it? Hayley, how is your kitty doing?

Thanks for listening (reading).
Nina
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:39 PM

Have you ever heard of Feline Hyperesthesia? It is very similar to epilepsy in symptoms. Please see a vet a soon as you can.
http://www.thecatsite.com/content/view/20/27/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:28 AM

Thank you, Candice. I read the link you included and found it very informative. Most of the symptoms don't match my situation. But I will keep it in mind the next time I go to the vet!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi Nina! I'm so sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was at my parents for Thanksgiving. I'm glad you found my post and found PT, but I'm sorry this is how you had to find us! I'm so, so sorry you are going through this with Loki. No one should have to go through this. Seeing Snuggles having a seizure is the scariest thing ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNB
I was sitting on the love seat and Loki was on the back of it to my right. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him moving oddly. I looked over and he was drooling and breathing heavily in a strange way. He immediately had my attention and I reached for him to pull into my lap to see if he was all right. Then Loki's seizure went full blown. He practically flew from the back of the love seat onto the cushion next to me. I picked him up, thinking he just fell or jumped. I realized then that he was seizing and urinating all over me and the love seat. I dropped to the floor and set him down, trying to hold him loosely to keep him from flipping into the coffee table or hurting himself on the floor. It was very violent. When the seizure stopped, he let loose with a meow that ripped through my heart.
This sounds like what happened w/ Snuggles. When he had his very first one (2 years ago, he was 2 years old), he fell down the side of the couch and was flaling around so odd, and his leg looked weird. We thought he fell at first and even broke his leg, then he went into a full blown seizure. He does foam at the mouth and has urinated on the floor. They can loose control of their functions and it's not uncommon to see them urinate, etc. And Oh my gosh.. hon I know that heartwrenching meow too well. It's so awful!!!! I cry everytime he has one. It's very hard to see. Just try to remember, Loki doesn't know what's going on when he has one, he isn't in pain. What we try to do, is when we see him starting to have one (our dogs usually warn us, too) we hold him down the best we can, so he doesn't run into anything and get hurt. Also, turning out the lights seems to help and being quiet. Although that's hard when my poor dogs are barking trying to tell us what's going on.

Your vet sounds very good. My vet ran blood tests to rule everything out. Yes, my vet said the liver was one a questioning factors, too. She wanted to make sure this wasn't caused by any organ issues, etc. She didn't find anything abnormal in his tests, and she ruled it as Feline Epilepsy. Snuggles isn't on medication as of yet. My vet didn't think he needed it yet. She told me she gets concened if he has more than one in a month, one that lasts longer than 5 minutes, or if he doesn't come out of it fairly soon after.

About the medication, I remember my vet telling me that Phenobarbital (medication for the seizures) wasn't too, too expensive. Your vet could actually write you a script for you to take to a *human* pharmacy as well.

I sometimes wonder if these are caused by vaccine reactions. A vet I ran into at a holisitic dog/cat food store, actually said it can be a reaction, it's possible, some cats can have seizures from this. As a result, my vet and I talked about him possibly not being vaccinated again, or rabies only every 3 years. He wasn't vaccinated this year. Smokie, my other cat, can't be vaccinated either. He got terrible reactions to his shots as a kitten, and last year was awful. He got rabies and distemper and was very sick from it. About 2 weeks later, he couldn't walk and his whole back end was very sore. They couldn't find out what was wrong, after X-rays and everything, he was on prednisone and antibiotics and got better, but I still say it was very weird. Sorry to go OT here. Was Loki just vaccinated? I wonder if this could come into play somewhere even?

I just saw your post in the into section, now, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsNB
Loki had another seizure at 5:00 this morning. I made an appointment with the vet for Thursday afternoon. Loki has to fast for 12 hours before the appointment. They are going to test his enzyme level before and after eating. This is to rule out a liver shunt problem.This has been the seventh seizure in three weeks. Six of the them were in pairs less than 24 hours apart from each other. One time, around 3 in the morning, he apparently starting seizing on the stairs. I awoke to the sound of him tumbling down the stairs and seizing at the bottom.

I read about seizures online and on threads from here (thanks Jackie!). This time the pre-seizure period was very long. He kept chasing his tail and acting oddly all day yesterday.

I don't know what I am going to do. I don't have a ton of money to shell out for a lot of tests or operations. I'm not sure if he will have to go on anti-seizure medicine or if I could afford it if he does. I also don't think I could give up my little guy either.
You and Loki are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope it's not a liver shunt problem. Please keep us updated. Please, feel free to PM me anytime, I know just how scary this is, hon.
My Snuggles has had a few more seizures lately and I need to bring him in for another updated blood test. Thanks for asking about him.

((hugs)) Hang in there, we're here for you!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Miss New Booty

Nina, how did the vet visit go today? I have been thinking about you and Loki today, and I hope everything went well.

~* Jackie *~

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 02:43 PM

I am soooo ready to tear my hair out with frustration. I still don't know anything. When I made my appointment for Thursday, I told them that Loki would have to have blood drawn after fasting, then eat, then have blood drawn again. I got there yesterday afternoon and the told me they screwed up!!!

They would not have enough time to feed him and draw his blood again before they closed. They gave me two options.

Either take him home, feed him, make him fast another 12 hours, and bring him back in the morning. YEAH RIGHT!!!!! HELLOOO!!! I am not going to starve my cat another 12 hours, plus I have to work from 8:00 - 5:00. Which is why I had to bring him late in the afternoon in the first place.

Or I could leave him overnight, so they could test him after feeding him last night and I would pick him up this evening after work. Great!!! Here my little kitten has only been in my home (from being in a cage in the shelter) for less than two months and I have to leave him at the vet for the night. Plus, how much would this cost me?

I found out that since it was their mistake, keeping him overnight would be free. So stuck between a rock and a hard place, I left Loki there. I felt soooo guilty going home. And Sergio looked for him and called for him all night and this morning.

Hopefully the vet will have the test results when I pick Loki up today. But the tech warned me that I might not get them until tomorrow.

Thank you all for your concern for Loki and me!!!! I will keep you updated.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Miss New Booty

Awww oh NO, Nina! That's awful. I would've been very upset, too. I hope you get these test results back quickly.

~* Jackie *~

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:27 PM

Unhappy Epilepsy it is

Hi All ,

Here is the latest and greatest Loki update. Loki has had two more seizures since I last posted.

One at 10:30 yesterday morning. He fell out of a window in our "junk" room. He ended stuck between an extra headboard and the wall, thrashing into them. By the time I could get to him, it was over. I am going to have to keep that room closed off until we can get him regulated. At this point, I still hadn't heard from the vet yet.

I finally heard from the vet at 2:00 pm. It wasn't the doctor I have been dealing with, but they knew I was impatient for the results. The liver results were normal. But Loki has epilepsy. The vet said that he wanted to start Loki on Phenobarbital (sp?) right away and would leave the medicine in the lab drop box for me to pick up.

Loki will have to be on this medicine the rest of his life. I have to give it to him twice a day (every 12 hours). I also have to bring him in for more blood tests in 3 weeks to test how the medicine is affecting his liver.

I gave Loki his first dose last night around 7:00. Then we went out shopping from 8 - 10. When we came back we realized he had another seizure while we were gone.

I hope and pray this medicine will end this nightmare. Thank you all (especially Jackie) very much for your support and advice. I will let you know if there are anymore developments.

Love to all the critters,
Nina
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwwww Nina! I am so glad to hear that there are no liver problems with Loki! That is very good news! But I'm sorry to hear he had more seizures and it is indeed epilepsy. Yes, Phenobarbital is what my vet said Snuggles would need for medication if he needs to be put on it, 2 x a day. How is Loki doing with the medication? Is he taking it well for you? How old is Loki again? I knew he was a kitten, but not sure of his age, and so young for epilepsy. They say the usual age is between 2-4 years old to show signs of it.

Don't be hard on yourself, hon, you are doing the very best you can for him! I know how bad you feel when you aren't there when it happens or you don't catch him in time. He is very lucky to have you!! Please keep me posted on him. I'm always here for you to lean on! I know what this is like, seeing him have a siezure is the hardest and most heartbreaking thing. You and Loki are in my thoughts.

Oh and don't forget, we need PICS of your kitties, girl!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
Miss New Booty

Any updates for us Nina? How is Loki doing? How he is he doing with the new medication? I've been thinking about you both.

~* Jackie *~

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 11:47 AM

Hi Jackie,

I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. Busy, busy, busy, you know. Loki is about six and a half months old now. He is taking his medicine very well.

As of Saturday, it has been a week since Loki's last seizure. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

I don't think I will be posting any pictures anytime soon. I don't have a digital camera or access to one. But I will see what I can work out.

Thank you and everybody again for your concern and support!!!
Nina
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 06:44 PM

hi i'm new at this, but looking to help others, and get some help myself. my 2 year old cat snickers has been having seizures since june. they started about once a week, and became more frequent, about twice a week as of recently.the first thing that we did was we took her to our regular vet, who had never treated any cats with seizures. however, he tested her for everything that could be causing them, and did all the usual bloodwork, everything came back negative. which narrowed it down to epilepsy.
this may sould strange, but i have a friend that is in chiropractic school, and she suggested that i take her to a chiropractor to be adjusted.(this is common for humans who have seizures becuase the spine is connected to the brain, it makes sense) i was leary of the idea at first, but was looking for any options that i could find to avoid medicating her. and the chiropractor was free for pets, so why not? we took her in and the chiropractor adjusted her, which took all of about a minute, he did it like he was just massaging her back, and that was it. no pain, it was easy.
she was seizure free from that day on for 2 1/2 months. we were thrilled. the chiropractor said that the one of two things would happen, either she would stop having the seizures all together, or they may come back in about three months. so we waited, and sure enough just when we thought we were out of the woods, they began again.
i immedietly took her back to the chiropractor, this time i saw the other doctor in the office who did a different kind of adjustment. he used a tool called an activator, which is supposed to be more specific to the problem. he told me to bring her back in about a month to do it again.
she had a seizure the next day. (thanksgiving day). i was so confused by why it had worked the first time and not now. the seizures were now getting worse again. one every three days. and then after about a week she had two in one day within an hour of each other. i knew i had to do something.
reluctantly, we took her to another vet. i had heard so many bad things about phenobarbitol that i didn't want to do it, but it was the only option. to watch those seizures was too painful. it broke my heart to see her like that.
the vet we saw specializes in cats, and treats cats with seizures. she was very nice and very helpful.
so this is where we are now. she has been on phenobarbital for about two weeks now. she has totally lost her personality. she sleeps all day and all night. she was a very active and playful cat and now she has no energy. she doesn't play, and hardly comes around at all. she sheds like she is losing all of her hair. is any of this normal? we miss our cat so much. it's horrible.
thank you for listening to my journey. and any help or advice you have would be great.

tammy

Tags
cat food, regular vet, vet visit