Canned Food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Canned Food?

Is canned food good or bad for cats? I've heard different things from different people and I'm not sure what to think. Does it depend on breed, age, what their eating currently? Or is it just personal preference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I am against canned food. I don't see it necessary unless the animals is dehydrated and needs extra fluid intake, as a special treat, or to get a cat to take medication.
If you smell a cat that eats canned food, and one that eats only dry, the canned food cat is stinky IMO. Also canned food is soft and mushy causing problems with teeth and gums since plaque is not brushed off. Bad oral care can lead to heart problems.
Also is cost's alot more then dry, I find there just really isn't any benifits feeding canned over dry.
So I would say it's "just personal preference".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I give it to my cat maybe once a month or so as a treat, but her stomach doesn't usually like it so we are thinking of no longer doing so...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 04:39 PM
SwC
Part of the Pack

My vet compares giving can food like giving them McDonalds lol. He feels that you go out of your way to feed them a quality dry food why blow it by giving them what he calls "junk food". I now only give them a small bit (maybe 1tbsp per kitty) once a week for a treat only. Otherwise they get thier dry kibble only on an adlib. And like the above we most likely will cease that as my oldest cat tends to just have it all come right back up in a short time after ingesting it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

When my girls were babies I gave them the wet food daily (the Nutro Natural Choice in Pouches, they loooove the gravy) . However, when I switched them to adult food (using Chicken Soup for Cat Lover's Soul) I pretty much weaned them off of the wet food. I do give them a bit once or twice a week, but they really only ever want a few licks and that's it.

---------------------------
Millie
Mom to 2 crazy kitties and 1 African Clawed frog.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

Just to clarify something, dry food doesn't clean teeth. You need to do that anyway (unless you're feeding raw )

I feel that you should consider both sides first. As these guys have already spoken of what they have been told are the pros of dry foods, I will give you the cons:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

Punish the deed, not the breed!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

My cats get can as a treat- but their main diet is kibble.

I have been frosted

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Loopy AppleNose

I try to give my cats can food as a treat, but they absolutely refuse to eat it. Anybody else's cats do that?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
What If Your Mother Was Watching You

My cats won't eat the mushy smelly stuff- ground? I think it's called. They like the cut chicken in the gravy stuff- and only chicken.

I have been frosted

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 04:52 AM
Title Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermitman64
I try to give my cats can food as a treat, but they absolutely refuse to eat it. Anybody else's cats do that?
Yup, one of my cats won't even go near it if we put some out. But he also refuses to eat anything that isn't dry food (not even scraps of meat, soft treats, gravy, etc). Well, that's not entirely true, he will eat anything non-edible off the floor. He's weird.

Owned by:
Three kitties (Hank, Napoleon, and The White One), two degus (Jay and Silent Bob), and a new chihuahua puppy (Gidget).

Special Pets in Heaven:
Bogus (cat), Dixie (dog), The Orange One (cat), baby iguana, and Charlotte (dog). I miss you all so much.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 06:37 AM
Crazy Woman Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud
Just to clarify something, dry food doesn't clean teeth. You need to do that anyway (unless you're feeding raw )

I feel that you should consider both sides first. As these guys have already spoken of what they have been told are the pros of dry foods, I will give you the cons:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
That was an interesting article thanks. I feed my cat both canned (or in a pouch) food and dry. I have one cat which prefers wet food and one which prefers dry, but they both complain if they don't get a taste of both foods. I think it is a mater of preference and there are pros and cons to both types. The best would be an all natural diet I feel

Caroline
( Just two of my many alter egos )

I
my new job and my girls, Polly puss cat
and Isis puss cat

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hermitman64

Yup, one of my cats won't even go near it if we put some out. But he also refuses to eat anything that isn't dry food (not even scraps of meat, soft treats, gravy, etc). Well, that's not entirely true, he will eat anything non-edible off the floor. He's weird.

My cat is the same, nothing but dry food. Why is that?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

We always fed our cats wet food and kibble. But when I moved into my house I changed my two to kibble and wet as a treat. The litter box is far less stinky! I felt awful when I first did it but now I do think it is better for Bean's teeth and what is left of Tyler's! I give them crunchy kitty treats all the time. That lessens my guilt.

As for moist food - I heard that can give them diabetes b/c it is high in sugar. has anyone else heard this? At one point we had a cat that would only eat the moist cat food. Once we heard that she had to go cold turkey and she did begin eating wet and dry.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Glowing New Mommy

My cats loooove canned food of any kind and i see nothing wrong with them having it since unlike since who have posted, mine dont get sick off of it, never have... but none of them ever get it ... since tobbie is a diabetic, he cant have anything but his special food and if he smells (or hears) the cans being open and given to the other two, he gets jealous so we just avoid cans altogether... but i am in no way against them getting it... tobbie and taylor used to get it at least every other day

R.I.P Tobbie
September 24, 2007
I'll always miss you!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 06:06 PM
In Frosting Denial

stick with the dried biscuits
generally they are cheaper, better for them, and less mess to clean up

Tags
canned food, cat food, chicken soup, dry food, litter box, nutro natural choice, wet food