Cat acting strange - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Cat acting strange

We have a 10 yr old Calico cat and lately she has been acting very weird. She is walking really slow, seems very out of it and we are unsure what is wrong. She lives w/ her daughter Ding Dong and Itty a black and white cat. Itty is very feisty and they fight at times but we think she may have slipped and hit her head due to what I saw last night. She was laying on her side and starting flailing her one arm and leg very sparactically and her eyes were wide open. Almost like she was having a seizure. It has me really worried and am not sure what to do. We also may think she might be losing her sight since she's walking so slow, stepping in water bowls, etc. She has not lost her appetite one bit. She isnt throwing up. No signs of being sick. Just slower than usual.

Anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It's very possible she has a seizure. What are you feeding her? Some of the symptoms of eating commercial pet food is seizures along with an assortment of other nasty things, due to the chemical preservatives and euthanized dogs and cats that are used in ingredients in the pet food. Her issues would probably go away if you fed her on a raw meat diet. Commercial pet food causes a whole nasty list of adverse effects on cats and dogs like behavioral issues, kidney disease, liver failure, diabetes, and seizures, and that's not even everything. Here's a site which I actually bookmarked just last night that talks all about it:

http://cat-food-secrets.com/

Any of the adverse effects sound like what she's experiencing? Then it's totally the food. The list is under the header: Commercial Cat Food is Known to Be the Cause of About 63% of What are Considered "Common Cat Ailments"!"

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 07-18-2010 at 01:53 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow never knew that. Thank you. I will check the site out and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I would take her to the vet as well, it also could have been a mild stroke.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yeah I agree it could have been a seizure or a stroke. Both can lead to brain damage as well.. I would deff. contact the vet and get her in. If she has an illness to where she has constant seizures then a vet can get you medication for that. Some times it doesn't even hit a cat till their older and more vulnerable. Though, I would sujest getting her into the vet to see what happened and maybe they can do something for you.. I wish you luck on your precious baby.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Hello Earthling

It would be best to take her to the vet to be checked out. It could be something more serious.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well a few days ago. I scheduled the appointment with a vet. I came home later that day and found her dead on the floor. Before I could get her to the vet. She was still eating all the way up till I found her. I have another cat that is one of her babies. My question is does anyone have any ideas about what it might have been that caused her to die. And should I be worried about the same thing with the other cat due to genetics. They are about a year or two apart.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Wow, I'm so sorry. I would talk to your vet about what symptoms she had, and ask her what she thinks, if it could be genetic. We can only really guess on here what it could have been.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks. Just wasnt sure if anyone else had any similar problems with their cat.