cat attacked charlie - charlie's OK - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Unhappy cat attacked charlie - charlie's OK

i'm shaking right now. about 10 minutes ago i'm in the living room watching tv and i hear cats screaming. my heart jumps in my throat and i run outside (in the front) and see a black cat running away from the house. i've seen this cat around recentely. so i call for charlie, but i don't see him and i figure it either wasn't him in the fight or he ran off. well, a couple minutes later i hear him come in through the doggy door and he's got a few scratches on his belly, a few pokes there and 2-3 deeper scratches on his limbs. i called the ER vet and asked if i need to bring him in (just in case of disease or anything) and they said i could wait until monday to get him some anti-biotics.

i'm just so upset. i knew that this was a risk when i decided to let him go outside. i've just never experienced this before. he's pretty much ok. he was a little spooked, but he hated my first aid more, i think. i put hydrogen-peroxide on all of the scratches and pokes and then i smeared a lot of neosporin on all of it. then i put him to rest on my bed.

i'm sure he'll be just fine, but i'm still upset. i just wish that there was some ideal solution for him. but i guess there's not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

poor guy.
Cats always fight it is a shame he ended up the worst of it.
Emil is a fighter he beats up both my cats and all the cats in the neighbourhood but he is more of a show fighter in that he has an image and they run at the 1st sight of him rather than him hurting any1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 08:42 AM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
i'm sure he'll be just fine, but i'm still upset. i just wish that there was some ideal solution for him. but i guess there's not.
there is... keep him in the house
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

Cat's fight, its bound to happen... Understanding the circumstances that Charlie can't be cooped up inside constantly there is risk involved. Obviously he isn't in too much of harms way. Certainly he knows he can escape inside if things get bad. I'm sure you don't allow them to roam outside if you are not home so, I doubt that much serious harm other than scratches will come about. It's all right. Things like this happen once in a while. Maybe it just needed to once for him to set it was his territory.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliet9521
there is... keep him in the house
Try researching the situation before you judge someone. Read Charlie's other threads.

Jane, use some soapy water a little later. You want to keep the wounds open so they can drain. No more peroxide, it can kill off healthy cells. This weekend, clean them 2-3 times a day with the soapy water. Hopefully you can prevent infection that way, but antibiotics are probably the best course.

You're in a no-win situation and doing the best that you can do for Charlie's well being, mentally and physically. Short of building a huge outside enclosure, there isn't a lot more you can do aside from be there for him and take care of him. Don't blame yourself.

Stephanie

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope he is ok Jane? Keep us informed!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Poor Charlie! I swear cat fights can be worse than dog fights. I hope Charlie is okay and his wounds heal nicely. Keep on the lookout for that other cat. I hope it doesn't come back!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I agree with most of what's been said here (you can guess which post I don't agree with). Try not to beat yourself up about it, you are just doing the best you can for him and hopefully that can't won't come back. It might be a new cat in the area trying to gain your yard as his territory. Hopefully it will have learnt that your yard is Charlie's territory. It's bound to happen with new cats in the neighbourhood. Keep him clean and take him to the vets on monday, he'll be fine.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about Char. How is he doing today? Did you take him to the vet today? I hope everything is ok! I hope that other cat doesn't come back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
You're in a no-win situation and doing the best that you can do for Charlie's well being, mentally and physically. Short of building a huge outside enclosure, there isn't a lot more you can do aside from be there for him and take care of him. Don't blame yourself.
I couldn't agree more. Don't ever blame yourself, hon! You care about Charlie so much and are giving him the best life, don't doubt it. You are doing everything you can with the situation you are given, it's just not an easy situation. He is loved so much! And we all know it!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:35 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade
Try researching the situation before you judge someone. Read Charlie's other threads.
Hey, was i judging her? i dont believe i was.. i was just making a statement... so yeah, bite me
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

wow, some people.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I got that kind of attitude on the hamster board...some people just aren't to friendly I guess

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Exclamation

The problem's been resolved, but I'm closing this thread. Jane, please start another to update us on Charlie's progress. I hope he's doing better.

Stephanie

Closed Thread

Tags
black cat