Cat attacking dog... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Cat attacking dog...

Amadeus keeps attacking Kiwi. Yes the cat is attacking the dog.

Amadeus will wait for Kiwi to come around a corner or he will just run up and whack her with his paws, but lately his has been biting and attacking her to the point where she is crying. Of course we always come to Kiwi's rescue and tell Amadeus no, but nothing seems to be working and obviously we don't want Kiwi to be attacked all the time.

Any suggestions? Amadeus gets put in the laundry room with his food and litter box when we aren't home. Kiwi is getting much to old to be attacked and it just isn't fair to her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Is Kiwi not respecting Amadeus somehow? Like...all cats have a "safe place", is Kiwi nosing around Amadeus's safe place and thus making Amadeus feel insecure or anything?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Maybe keep them in seperate rooms even when you are home.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it sounds like they are playing, well at least the cat is, playing and pouncing and biting, she isn't respecting kiwi's cries when he plays too hard and that is when the momma cat would come and fight the kitten back and put it into its place.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Is Kiwi not respecting Amadeus somehow? Like...all cats have a "safe place", is Kiwi nosing around Amadeus's safe place and thus making Amadeus feel insecure or anything?
He will just go after her at anytime. Kiwi could just be sitting in her normal spot or walking around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
Maybe keep them in seperate rooms even when you are home.
That isn't really possible.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Honestly, in this kind of situation the best thing to do is simply keep them separate (you might have to rotate them between areas). I suppose clicker training the cat is an option (try training him to "leave it" like you would a dog), too, but I don't know how practical that would be.

Is there a way Kiwi can have a safe place to get away from Amadeus? Like a crate?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i think if you just scruff the cat every time it happens and scold it like a moma cat would it should work out. Amadues isn't very old, my guess it is just play that is getting out of hand on his part. Kitten's need someone to put them in their place every now and then, and male cats can be kittens for years.

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Honestly, in this kind of situation the best thing to do is simply keep them separate (you might have to rotate them between areas). I suppose clicker training the cat is an option (try training him to "leave it" like you would a dog), too, but I don't know how practical that would be.

Is there a way Kiwi can have a safe place to get away from Amadeus? Like a crate?
My house is open plan so the only rooms (with doors) are bedrooms, laundry room and basement. Amadeus can't be locked in any room but the laundry room and Kiwi isn't supposed to be in the bedrooms alone or in the basement.

I am going to continue to try and train him. I think Kendalle is right is saying that he is just playing to hard which make sense since Kiwi is only slightly bigger then Amadeus. He doesn't seems to be trying to hurt her either...

No crate. Kiwi refuses to go in one. The house is big enough that they can get away from each other but the only problem is they all follow me...

Poor Kiwi... I think I am going to pick up some SoftPaws for Amadeus to try and at least make sure Kiwi isn't getting scratched.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator

Poor Kiwi. Kit got attacked by a cat outside during one of our walks before. He doesn't like cats anymore now. He use to be really good around them, but now he barks at them whenever we pass one.

I would try the soft paws. Even if the cat is just being playful, the scratches can still hurt and there's always the chance they could get infected as well. When Kit got attacked, the cat scratched him about an inch away from his eye, and bit his leg. He had to get antibiotics for the bite and the vet said if the cat had scratched him just an inch over, he probably would have had some serious damage to his eye.

Sorry I know I'm not much help. Hopefully training Amadeus helps, if you can't keep them separated.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

does he go for the face? most kittens playing will bite the ears, back and legs, one that is trying to defend its territory or attacks out of fear will hiss and go towards the face with ears pinned. He isn't being mean unless he is making those god awful cat fight noises the growls, howls, and hisses. My guess he's just playing and trying to act like a momma cat putting their annoying kitten in its place will be the best bet.

Our one cat will attack our older cat (he is playing, but our older cat was an only child and indoor since he was 2-3 weeks old (his mom we think ate poison and all the other kittens died but she and lucy lived.) and lucy doesn't know butters is playing and just lays there and cries) Scruffing him then ignoring him after for a little while helped.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
does he go for the face? most kittens playing will bite the ears, back and legs, one that is trying to defend its territory or attacks out of fear will hiss and go towards the face with ears pinned. He isn't being mean unless he is making those god awful cat fight noises the growls, howls, and hisses. My guess he's just playing and trying to act like a momma cat putting their annoying kitten in its place will be the best bet.

Our one cat will attack our older cat (he is playing, but our older cat was an only child and indoor since he was 2-3 weeks old (his mom we think ate poison and all the other kittens died but she and lucy lived.) and lucy doesn't know butters is playing and just lays there and cries) Scruffing him then ignoring him after for a little while helped.

He mostly goes for the body. Kind of tackling her. No noises.

I just put some Kitty Caps (knock off of SoftPaws) on him so he can't scratch Kiwi.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Lovin' my pack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
He mostly goes for the body. Kind of tackling her. No noises.

I just put some Kitty Caps (knock off of SoftPaws) on him so he can't scratch Kiwi.
I heard from a few people that they do not stay on very well..maybe you can let us all know how well those work.

"Not for human consumption"- Peas in a Pod

Visit Peas in a Pod page on Facebook...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rchik13ny View Post
I heard from a few people that they do not stay on very well..maybe you can let us all know how well those work.

They seem to be holding up so far, but they have only been on since last night. I will let you guys know how they do.

I bought the Kitty Caps because the pet store had them and they were cheaper . The only downfall I can currently point out is the lack of colours. Amadeus has blue and gray right now as I was sure if he would like hot pink.