Photos! Cat can't meow? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Cats Your scratching post for anything feline related!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cat can't meow?

I got a kitten maybe 8-10 months ago (can't remember..) from a family who's young son was quite careless (violent). Even when I went to pick him up I saw the child pick the kitten up by it's neck and although he was choking it, the kitten was calm. It's wonderful that my kitten is such an easy-going little guy (except when he's playing lol he get's pretty rambunctious) but he can't meow! If he makes any noise, it's a little squeak. Once in a great while when he really wants something he'll make a louder and longer high-pitched squeaky mew. I'm wondering, it it possible that child caused his vocal chords damage by practically strangling the poor thing constantly? I don't think he's any "special" breed (to explain the voice).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM
It's all for them

I think your kitty needs to see the vet. It may just be he has a a squeak instead of a meow but considering his history, I'd have it checked out with a vet.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I just realised my post says pictures...sorry! I can't post pics quite yet and I didn't realise I didn't take that photos thingy down
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Playful Pup

I agree, I would at least take him in for a Vet to take a look at him. I worked for a Vet for over 12 years and have seen some pretty bad things happen to kittens with children. Sometimes the result of an injury will not show, animals have a high tolerance for pain and sometime can go unseen. Please take the wee one to be seen :-)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Is there anything they could do to help him? I'm already planning on a vet visit to get him fixed so I'll ask while I'm there but I'm just curious if you think it's something he needs meds or something for since it seems the common consensus is to take him to the vet.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Playful Pup

I dont think it will be anything that he will need meds for from my experience but I am not a Vet. The child might have casued permanant damage or it can just be that the kitty was born that way. My lil one barley makes a peep but I know he can he just chooses not to be vocal. Certainly make it a concern to the Vet when you get him altered, they can take a look down his throat when they anesthetize him for the neuter and should not cost any extra if he is under for another paid procedure. Does he eat and drink ok? Does he have any difficulty at all? Appetite is ok?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Okay (I just didn't know if it was sometime to like freak out about..I'm a worrywart about my lil guys). He's eats and drinks very well (loves water), he shows no signs of discomfort with his mews, when I touch his neck and throat while petting he loves it like most cats do. He's as normal as a cat gets apart from his obsession with being near running water and the squeaky mew he makes. Whenever he does do a louder mew it doesn't seem like it hurts...it's just that he's being more adamant about what he wants.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Newborn Pup

Considering previous history, it's a good idea to take the kitten in but it might not be something to be concerned about. I got my male cat when he was 6 months old and I didn't hear a peep out of him for a few months after. I've had him for a year and a half now and he only meows a bit when he wants to be pet or fed. And it's only a few squeaks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Playful Pup

Sounds like he will be just fine ilidawn, I wouldn't worry too much : -) I am sure he Vet will tell you the same when you take him in.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 PM
Guarded by Waffles

My cats love running water but hate baths. I know many cats like that. He sounds fine but double check with a vet

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Betta Bomb

But you can never be too sure. He does sound like he's okay and some cats are just quiet. My sister's cat Illusion is a walking choir . If he shows no discomfort (even whn you're not around, learn to be quiet and spy on him) then just mention it at the vets. Cats are notorious for hiding pain, and maintaining face bc they like to be totally independant.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Suess only meows...kinda...when he wants something major. He has a differnt meow. Xena though! If she's upset or something...you WILL know about it.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My room mate keeps an eye on him when I'm gone and he's happy as can be around the house when I can sneak up and spy on him without him knowing. I'm just so used to loud cats that a quiet one almost creeps me out lol I'm still waiting on my paycheck so I can take him to the vet to get fixed and checked out
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:38 PM
It's all for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
But you can never be too sure. He does sound like he's okay and some cats are just quiet. My sister's cat Illusion is a walking choir . If he shows no discomfort (even whn you're not around, learn to be quiet and spy on him) then just mention it at the vets. Cats are notorious for hiding pain, and maintaining face bc they like to be totally independant.
It's not that they like to be independent. Cats are very social animals actually.

Cats hide pain and illness instinctively because showing weakness makes them vulnerable to predators. By the time a cat shows symptoms of pain or illness, they usually have been sick or suffering for quite a long time.

Even those of us who pay close attention can miss things sometimes. It's a terrible feeling when you find out your cat has been suffering and you didn't know. That's why I always suggest a vet visit first thing.

Anyway keep us posted on your boy. You'll be glad to have the neuter over with for sure!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Betta Bomb

Aw, thanks for clarifying! I knew cats were social and like cuddling and stuff but I figured they were more of an independant animal than say, a dog. But as for the illness not showing up till it's way too late- that's tragic!

Tags
kitten no meow squeek